CHE and Basking

betturbutter

5 Year Member
This whole time i thought That a CHE and a basking lamp were the same. Now i know CHE is to keep the ambient at a good temp and a basking lamp has a light to attract them to keep warm plus it is kept at a higher temp.

Are both lamps necessary? Would only having a basking lamp be sufficient? Do all basking lamps give light? Do i have to turn the basking lamp off at night so they can have darkness and leave the CHE on?

I know these questions may seem dumb but it would be really helpful to know the answers. Thank you.:D

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
it depends on your set up and your temps where the enclosure is and the species of tortoises you have. Most uses a mvb (basking light) and a CHE for the day and only the CHE for night time heat. Yes, they should have it dark at night.

betturbutter

5 Year Member
wellington said:
it depends on your set up and your temps where the enclosure is and the species of tortoises you have. Most uses a mvb (basking light) and a CHE for the day and only the CHE for night time heat. Yes, they should have it dark at night.

I'm going to use a tank and i will have a sulcata.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You would use a CHE to provide heat without light. So if your house gets pretty cold at night and you want to keep your tortoise habitat warm, a CHE is the way to go. And if your temp in the habitat isn't warm enough during the day with just the light, then you can run the CHE plus the light for more warmth.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
For a young sulcata, please read Toms threads below in my post for raising a healthy and smooth sully. Temps should t be below 80 with humidity no lower then 80%

betturbutter

5 Year Member
wellington said:
For a young sulcata, please read Toms threads below in my post for raising a healthy and smooth sully. Temps should t be below 80 with humidity no lower then 80%

I actually have read them but i was still a little confused since this is going to be the first time i will have a tortoise. i just want to get everything right. I usually go back to those threads and more questions pop up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use three things in my enclosures.

1. A 65 watt regular incandescent flood bulb. I adjust the height of the fixture to get a basking temp of around 100 rit under the bulb on a flat rock.
2. A CHE set on a thermostat to 80 degrees. This operates 24/7 and keeps the temps warm enough, without light, day or night. If it is already warm enough, the thermostat just keeps the CHE off.
3. A florescent tube with a color temp of 5000-6500 just for extra light. The fl. tube and flood bulb are all on the same digital timer.

My tortoises get regular sunning sessions all year, so I don't use any artificial UV.

ictteacher

5 Year Member
Hi tom

Have you got any pictures of your set up. I'm interested in the flat rock under your lamp.