Basking Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris1810

5 Year Member
Picture 015.jpgPicture 014.jpgPicture 016.jpg

This is the basking light i bought 100watt instead of the 60 for his table ,Just waiting for his hood to be delivered from amazon and the i think iam done.I put a pic in of him tryin the new light out.Please let me know what think Thanks :shy:

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
RE: Baskin Light

That looks okay. What is the temp under it? Just know that you will not get any UV from that one and so sunshine and outside time will be even more important. In the future you can buy regular incandescent flood bulbs from the hardware store that will do the same thing and cost a lot less.

chris1810

5 Year Member

I have a uv strip that runs down the side of the table.I had a 60 watt basking bulb but it was not warm enough for him so i went and got him the 100watt.

slowpoke

5 Year Member
colorado springs, colorado

i agree with wpeltola sense i went to the MVB my temps went up and my torts are more active indoors ... and you wont need 2 bulbs , just the MVB ...

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota

I also have 100W UVB bulb :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
A lot of tortoise keepers in the UK use a UV strip light and a basking light. That combination works, since you have the fixtures for them. At some point if you decide to switch to a single heat/light source, in the UK the Arcadia MVB's seem very successful.
Several experienced keepers on this site don't use UVB bulbs in the winter and rely on the sun during the summer for UVB.

Your main goal was to get the basking area warmer, as it was 83F before you got the new bulb. What is the basking temp now?
He seems to be enjoying it.
Let us know if he becomes more active in the next few days.

chris1810

5 Year Member
Picture 017.jpgPicture 018.jpg

The temp in the middle of his table is now 90 and his basking spot is well over 100 as you can see from the pics,Is the temp ok for him?.
I will get that 2 in 1 light when my uv strip runs out in about 6 months.
He is starting to come out and get his food on his own without me moving him towards it so i think we are getting there,Thanks for all your help.
And if you think iam doing any thing wrong please let me know.

Last edited by a moderator:

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
chris1810 said:
The temp in the middle of his table is now 90 and his basking spot is well over 100 as you can see from the pics,Is the temp ok for him?.
I will get that 2 in 1 light when my uv strip runs out in about 6 months.
He is starting to come out and get his food on his own without me moving him towards it so i think we are getting there,Thanks for all your help.
And if you think iam doing any thing wrong please let me know.

LOL ... Now the temp is too hot. You want a hot spot of about 95-100*F, and an ambient temperature in the 70's to low 80's.
Glad to hear he's becoming acclimated and more active, though.

chris1810

5 Year Member
How will i get it at that temp,Should i raise the basking light higher?

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
chris1810 said:
How will i get it at that temp,Should i raise the basking light higher?

Yep, that's how it's done. If it's too hot, just raise the overhead heat source a bit higher, until you get the right temperature.

If you are having trouble hanging it safely or reliably from a given height, you can buy a support for the light at most any pet store that carries pet supplies. It's just a convenient, metal stand for an overhead light or heat-emitter, with an adjustable post so you can lock it at any height.

Status
Not open for further replies.