Help with enclosure temps.

RussianNinja

Location (City and/or State)
Loudon
I have a fairly large tortoise table, with a (small) dome basking light. Under the light is 95 to 100 degrees. Which is good, but I think the majority of the rest of the enclosure stays around 72-75. Could this be why my tort stays by the light all day?I have a 100 w heat emitter but was scared to leave it on all day. Although I do have a thermostat hooked to the che. Should I use it to try to increase the temp in the rest of the encloser?I will be getting a larger basking light soon in hopes that it will send more heat into the encloser. Any ideas?

Crank the emitter to 80 and put the temp prob somewhat near where the emitter is warming?

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
72-75 isn’t that low. Russians can handle drops into the 60s, given they are provided heat to warm back up.

Are you providing UVB? What is his/her diet?

Yes, please post a picture!

RussianNinja

Loudon
Ive been mixing grassland tortoise diet in his greens like every other day and mixing up between turnip greens mustard greens escarole endive romaine water cress. And he eats the grass I planted which is timothy hay.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Maybe add another tube fluorescent light to the other side to brighten up the enclosure. He may want to move around more then.

RussianNinja

Loudon
Maybe add another tube fluorescent light to the other side to brighten up the enclosure. He may want to move around more then.
It's kinda hard to see but there is a 18" tube on the left and a 32" on the right. But the 32 inch has leds to.

RussianNinja

Loudon
That's really very nice! Lots of space for the little guy to wander around in. Only trouble is, an open top enclosure is hard to keep warm all over the enclosure. You can try adding a couple well placed CHE (ceramic heat emitter)
Thanks. I'm realizing the heat problem. That metal fixture w the cage is a 100w che. Maybe another one on the other side will help with the heat?I also just thought of... since it's on a bunk bed maybe I can put curtains around it. To keep the heat in. First thought was plastic but that wouldn't look as nice.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks. I'm realizing the heat problem. That metal fixture w the cage is a 100w che. Maybe another one on the other side will help with the heat?I also just thought of... since it's on a bunk bed maybe I can put curtains around it. To keep the heat in. First thought was plastic but that wouldn't look as nice.
You could try covering the three sides, leaving the front open. That would look ok. But not with curtains. You'll need something the cool air can't pass through, like plastic sheeting. Then add another CHE.

RussianNinja

Loudon
You could try covering the three sides, leaving the front open. That would look ok. But not with curtains. You'll need something the cool air can't pass through, like plastic sheeting. Then add another CHE.
The back side is up against the wall so maybe the 2 sides? If I used curtains I could open and close and or partially leave open on the front. If I can get the heat to hang out a little longer I could give my heating bill a break from being on 75 all the time (in that room) although the ches will take up the cost instead. If you think I couldn't get curtains to work I trust your judgment. But if I can leave openings for a draft would that work? Was thinking of using an actual curtain hanger. Or maybe by using shorter curtains that don't go all the way down to the enclosure?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
How about a thick clear shower curtain maybe 2. use to dome the enclosure in and allow the biggest side to be lifted up when you need to go in. Just trying to spitball the lowest dollar fix that still allows you to see the awesome enclosure and your baby at the same time. BTW love the repurpose of the bunkbed space!

T Smart

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Is that some sort of seed mix? And what are the plants in the middle?

I’m just curious :)

Lovely setup by the way!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, there are quite a few good ideas in there. I especially like the hiding place made out of blocks of cement. There's no danger of the baby climbing the sides of that hide and falling off like they do with the half logs.

@T Smart : Sulcatafood.com has a nice assortment of different seeds for tortoise food.

RussianNinja

Loudon
Is that some sort of seed mix? And what are the plants in the middle?

I’m just curious :)

Lovely setup by the way!
The seed is just timothy hay. Got a huge 2lb bag off amazon.The plants are lucky bamboo. Which he doesn't bother with cause the leaves are so high. There's also wild strawberries in the front and spider plants but those are mostly gone/eaten.i find him grazing on the timothy allot before I put food in, in the morning. Oh yeah and there's white Dutch clover in the front to but he doesn't bother with it much. I think because its just a thick layer of sprouts. Big leaves haven't formed yet.

RussianNinja

Loudon
How about a thick clear shower curtain maybe 2. use to dome the enclosure in and allow the biggest side to be lifted up when you need to go in. Just trying to spitball the lowest dollar fix that still allows you to see the awesome enclosure and your baby at the same time. BTW love the repurpose of the bunkbed space!
That's a good idea I could just tuck the shower curtain under the mattress on the top to hold it. If the heat is held in a little better/ longer should I set the thermostat to the che to 80? Or would that make it so there would be no relatively cool side in the encloser? The bank side and right side is a wall so maybe experimenting with a shower curtain on the front I can try to leave just the left side open? This is probly going to be something I will have to experiment with but should 80 in the whole encloser be bad?(just during the day)?