Basking spot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hey everyone.

I bought a T-Rex 100w bulb (heat/uvb) and put onto my Hermann. In the cage, the temp on the basking side is about 105 degrees, with the cooler end close to 78 degrees.

Is there a way to reduce the temp of the basking spot? Raise the fixture so it is higher up? Will that reduce the temperature?

Thanks in advance.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yep, raise the fixture. But if you do that you are changing the distance of the UV also. How close is it now?

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
It is now 14" above the substrate and a little above 100.

This apartment is normally around 80 degrees though- those old-fashioned radiator heaters- so I'm sure that isn't helping.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I don't know anything about the kind of tort you have. I have one of those bulbs also and my temps get about 100-105but I have a sulcata and she loves it.
You could try a timer, have the light go off for a little bit to lower the temps a bit or just raise it an inch or two.

bdoyle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamilton, Ontario, CAN
If your light is a mercury vapour bulb ( which i think are the only ones that provide both heat and ub in one bulb )...
then from what ive read , they do not work so well on timers/thermostat timers/dimmers as they take a minute or so to turn on / heat up.. and frequently turning the bulbs on and off shortens their life / can cause them to burn out...

I do not own one of these.. so I cannot say this from experience.. perhapse the bulbs have an instruction manual or instructions on the box that speak of this?...

I only speak of this because in my researching my own equipment for my tortoise I recall this being brought up a couple times.

Tatooineboy

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I'm at work now, so I don't have access to the box and/or the bulb. Its possible I picked-up a higher wattage than the 100. I know there is a 160w out there that T-Rex produces, so maybe that is what I bought? Won't know until later.

Status
Not open for further replies.