Beak Beak Beak

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I know theres a pinned thread on beak trimming, but on all my devices the pictures wont show up, and I posted on that thread about how to but I think many people skip over the pinned threads like I do.

Basically Nank's beak is getting longer, the terra cotta saucer isn't trimming it, possibly just maintaining it... but he's a messy eater do I doubt it actually helps at all. So i'm getting ready to trim for the first time, but need a few pointers especially since the pictures from the pinned post don't show up for me.

I know how to hold the head out, at least I assume I do: put a finger on each side of the neck close enough that their head wont fit back and loose enough you're not choking them. if that's incorrect let me know.
The post spoke of a small dremel, I have a small nail filing dremel with what I think is the perfect attachment. Do you have to get their mouth open to do this? How the heck would I do that if I have to?
I hope to get as much done as possible but may have to do it in 2 different days due to stress on him. His beak isn't horribly long like when it looks like they have a large nose handing over, but its getting longer than it should be and I know its easier to maintain than to let grow and really have to trim off chunks.

Only thing to note with Nank is he's WC, he's somewhat skiddish to be touched and I know this will be extremely stressful to him and he wont cooperate a bit, since I've failed at trying before when I didn't research this much. Explanations are good, pictures are also good... does anyone else have the problem with no longer being able to see the ones in the tweak your beak post? if someone can see them and want to try to post them here please do... to me (on all my devices) the post itself seems a tad corrupted since random symbols pop up in it too. Feel free to direct me to a trusty site if you use one or tell how you do it. Whatever works, I just want to fully prepare to get it done right and quick to minimize stress. And i'd rather learn eventually myself rather than relying on the vet all the time since I know many people here do it easily, and a vet trip would traumatize him more (but if I really cant do it I'll be going to the vet, I just think its a skill I should know)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts

Like the non invasive way here....but will take time and patience on the humans part...
Perfect! works for me, i just hope he wont end up being too squirmy! I'll have to try this tomorrow after a bath for him :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Perfect! works for me, i just hope he wont end up being too squirmy! I'll have to try this tomorrow after a bath for him :)

Well, the best thing that works for me is to plan for the most irritating scenario---then anything less, is a good experience....lol....good luck..

"Patience is a virtue I wish I would hurry up and get".......I heard this somewhere and it made me laugh....just thought I would share...:D

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Well, the best thing that works for me is to plan for the most irritating scenario---then anything less, is a good experience....lol....good luck..

"Patience is a virtue I wish I would hurry up and get".......I heard this somewhere and it made me laugh....just thought I would share...:D
Well the most irritating scenario I can picture is being scratched up by his little claws because oh my are they strong! But I plan to have him wrapped in an old shirt anyways in case he really isn't empty, and so he'll potentially feel more secure.

I have patience i'm an artist, I could sit there hours slowly working on the beak. my problem is I don't want to overstress/traumatize him, I mean he's been through enough in life to land up here with me so I like to give him the least stress possible

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well the most irritating scenario I can picture is being scratched up by his little claws because oh my are they strong! But I plan to have him wrapped in an old shirt anyways in case he really isn't empty, and so he'll potentially feel more secure.

I have patience i'm an artist, I could sit there hours slowly working on the beak. my problem is I don't want to overstress/traumatize him, I mean he's been through enough in life to land up here with me so I like to give him the least stress possible

Remember, that the goal is to get the tort to naturally poke his head out....so the process of slightly tilting him forward and down is to get the instant reaction of the head and front legs coming out ....:D

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Remember, that the goal is to get the tort to naturally poke his head out....so the process of slightly tilting him forward and down is to get the instant reaction of the head and front legs coming out ....:D
Yup, its going to take me some getting used to, i'm terrified if I do that and he squirms he'll actually end up on the floor :eek: So the first time I probably wont get much accomplished, but get the feel for it so it'll be safe later. I could never try to force his little head out of his shell.. when he hides its for a reason and instinct, its certainly not fair or humane in my opinion to yank it out for him

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Yup, its going to take me some getting used to, i'm terrified if I do that and he squirms he'll actually end up on the floor :eek: So the first time I probably wont get much accomplished, but get the feel for it so it'll be safe later. I could never try to force his little head out of his shell.. when he hides its for a reason and instinct, its certainly not fair or humane in my opinion to yank it out for him

I agree....invasive stuff should not be the first protocol when offering aid....only as a last resort, in my opinion anyways....perhaps start while sitting on the floor, that will decrease the "oh crap" fall zone...and maybe place a folded towel in the drop zone so there will be no injuries...lol...good luck.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I agree....invasive stuff should not be the first protocol when offering aid....only as a last resort, in my opinion anyways....perhaps start while sitting on the floor, that will decrease the "oh crap" fall zone...and maybe place a folded towel in the drop zone so there will be no injuries...lol...good luck.
Sitting on the floor was already in my head in the I have more balance and control aspect, so I guess that does help with the "fall zone"

This is already something I consider "invasive" but the terra cotta plate never helped while eating since he's the messiest eater I've ever seen!! Even when I place it and line it to the bottom, he tramples right up on it and pushes the food everywhere lol. And this invasive is much less stressful than the vet and/or waiting until its long enough to be a problem... its just frustrating that I can't provide a natural enough environment for this all to be avoided, but at the same time people here have to trim/maintain beaks all the time, its like a weird opinion cycle I have.

I'll be sure to share how it goes and hopefully have enough difference for noticeable before and after pics!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
its like a weird opinion cycle I have.

I do understand this statement....lol....

You could add a couple flatter river rocks into the enclosure...this will offer him a place to bit and rub his beak on to help maintain it...also, when you offer food perhaps offer whole/larger pieces vs cutting up small---the ripping and tearing offers another good way for them to keep their beak rubbed down.....

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I do understand this statement....lol....

You could add a couple flatter river rocks into the enclosure...this will offer him a place to bit and rub his beak on to help maintain it...also, when you offer food perhaps offer whole/larger pieces vs cutting up small---the ripping and tearing offers another good way for them to keep their beak rubbed down.....
I'm good at debates since I'm too good at seeing valid points in both sides-conversely i cant stand up for a side.
I totally didnt get around to doing it last night... darn school work!! (and stores and tv for making me buy Hocus Pocus then watch it all night lol). So tonight will be the night!
I'll look for some rocks, i got plenty everywhere haha, i doubt he'd use it... in fact I'd probably end up giving him a "girlfriend", but the possibility of him finding a use is the same logic of keeping a cuttlebone that he insists not to use. I usually chuck in entire leafs of greens since he makes less a mess from them and in the wold he didnt have nice chopped up foods for him so why should he here? I think its helped keep it not hugely long but not quite enough to keep it entirely trimmed

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I'm good at debates since I'm too good at seeing valid points in both sides-conversely i cant stand up for a side.

Now that made me laugh really hard......and I loved Hocus Pocus...very funny...

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Now that made me laugh really hard......and I loved Hocus Pocus...very funny...
I'm hoping at least some difference can be seen, I had to end up holding his head out because he was VERY squirmy. The after is when he's wrapped in the black t-shirt. Is it still long or am I over concerned? Poor lil guy went right to bed and probably is very upset with me... oh well it was for his own good not entertainment.

Attachments

• 1412123100664.jpg
    1412123100664.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 1412123111709.jpg
    1412123111709.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 18

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Okay, so don't be mad....I don't see much difference :p...I mean there is a bit of difference...but I believe you two have been traumatized enough for the first time...I am sure any other attempts will go much more smoothly...and remember you said you did not want to stress the tort...so I believe you did good..patience, a little at a time....good job ..

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Okay, so don't be mad....I don't see much difference :p...I mean there is a bit of difference...but I believe you two have been traumatized enough for the first time...I am sure any other attempts will go much more smoothly...and remember you said you did not want to stress the tort...so I believe you did good..patience, a little at a time....good job ..
Nope I'm not mad, in fact I'm happy you see a difference!! my worst case scenario was that it wouldn't be noticeable, so I exceeded expectations :p
So I still have a ways to go or just a little? I think i'm going to make it a weekly or every other week think until we're where we want to be. Any place I can find good diagrams or picture examples of too long versus just right? I know what way too long looks like (and don't particularly understand how people think that's normal... but I'm not sure whats good and too long on this small level. Its just hard since this is all new to me!!