Beak Degradation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anniiie321

5 Year Member
Hello,

I have a Redfoot tortoise named Lucy. She is about 3 or 4 years old. I have recently built her a new, large enclosure complete with a humidifier, UVB light and a heat lamp for daytime and nighttime. After I introduced her to this enclosure, I unfortunately had to return to university and my parents had to take care of her. I have noticed on my return that she has a somewhat degraded beak. Mostly at the bottom. I have always heard her grind her beak, usually after eating and before I left, there may have been a slight degradation but not too much.. I just think it is very noticeable now. I am wondering if this is due to something in her diet? or something missing in her new enclosure? Should I turn up the humidity? or is this normal? She has been favoring soft foods (fruits and squashes) so I thought maybe she is in some discomfort? Everything else about her seems fine.

Can someone help?

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenmoore, PA
Do you keep cuttle bone in her enclosure for her to nibble on? Also can you be more specific about the beak degradation, I it overgrown or just uneven?

anniiie321

5 Year Member
I introduced a cuttlebone before i left and she took a nibble but immediately pulled back and spit it out.. then she was never interested again :S it looks uneven..but the part i am most concerned about is the very point of the bottom part has almost a chunk missing.. it looks like the top point broke it all down. I will try to get pictures up today.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
Just keep the cuttlebone in there, she may nibble when you aren't around. As for the uneven beak, few tortoises will have a beak that is symmetrical all the way around, it would be nice to see a picture of what you are talking about but the important part is that it is not overgrown in a way that inhibits her from eating.

anniiie321

5 Year Member
I took these today. I may be overreacting, its just that she is my first tort and im not sure what is typical. She loves to eat and it doesnt seem to be interfering with that! :p

The first one, I circled the part im most concerned about. and the second three photos, while we're at it, i also notice what looks like a small shell chip at the back of her shell, just double checking that that is what it is and that i do not have to worry!

Attachments

• beak1.jpg
    beak1.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 53
  • beakshell.jpg
    beakshell.jpg
    323.1 KB · Views: 43

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Annie:

What a pretty face!!! It would be nice if your tortoise is female...she's so pretty!!

I don't think the beak is anything to worry about. I don't see a corresponding point in the top beak that could have worn the bottom like that. Maybe she bit on something hard and it chipped the beak out. When I first pulled up that open-mouth picture I was pretty startled at her tongue...and then I realized she had food in her mouth!

As to the spot...some redfoots shells mottle as they grow. This could be a color change and it also might be a spot of shell rot. Just to be on the safe side, keep it clean and put a dab of athlete's foot cream on it every day for a week or so.

I may be way off base on both accounts. Please listen to one of the redfoot keepers and heed their advice.

anniiie321

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Annie:

What a pretty face!!! It would be nice if your tortoise is female...she's so pretty!!

I don't think the beak is anything to worry about. I don't see a corresponding point in the top beak that could have worn the bottom like that. Maybe she bit on something hard and it chipped the beak out. When I first pulled up that open-mouth picture I was pretty startled at her tongue...and then I realized she had food in her mouth!

As to the spot...some redfoots shells mottle as they grow. This could be a color change and it also might be a spot of shell rot. Just to be on the safe side, keep it clean and put a dab of athlete's foot cream on it every day for a week or so.

I may be way off base on both accounts. Please listen to one of the redfoot keepers and heed their advice.

Hello,

I have been told she is a female by this forum when I posted pictures asking to confirm :) she's a cutie :)
I have been bathing her more frequently now that I am home and paying close attention to cleaning her beak! haha and yes i guess i should have mentioned she is eating food in the pictures! :p
I will start putting the cream on her shell, just in case since i don't see it hurting anything anyways :p

Thank you for your advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.