Beak growing into underbite

threeheadedshadow

5 Year Member
So I have been recently battling a plastron fungal rot and have it solved for my two little redfoots. Today i was taking the one guy out of his hide for a quick bath and noticed he is starting to get an underbite and his mouth is white. Is this normal? Is there something I can do to prevent it? His tank mate has no issues at all.
Thanks
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452616192.629076.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452616201.247847.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452616209.382809.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Looks like the jaw might be mis-aligned. There's not enough beak growth yet to allow any to be trimmed. Sorry, I have no words of wisdom for you.

(the white is normal)

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
So I have been recently battling a plastron fungal rot and have it solved for my two little redfoots. Today i was taking the one guy out of his hide for a quick bath and noticed he is starting to get an underbite and his mouth is white. Is this normal? Is there something I can do to prevent it? His tank mate has no issues at all.
Thanks
View attachment 162029View attachment 162030View attachment 162031
Hi there. Do you have a photo of before you noticed this beak issue?

LittleBigChief

5 Year Member
Santa Cruz, CA
Thanks
View attachment 162029View attachment 162030View attachment 162031
I would recommend you to use a cuttle bone. Also it helps if you feed on some sort of tara cotta plate or stone.I like to go the more natural route and give my red foot a chicken bone to chew on. I take off the raw meat or cooked meat off a drum drumstick and she goes crazy on it for hours.

threeheadedshadow

5 Year Member
I would recommend you to use a cuttle bone. Also it helps if you feed on some sort of tara cotta plate or stone.I like to go the more natural route and give my red foot a chicken bone to chew on. I take off the raw meat or cooked meat off a drum drumstick and she goes crazy on it for hours.

I have a cuttle bone on a rock and this one never seems interested in it. Maybe i will try and hand feed him tonight. The other tort loves those things and snacks on them from time to time. Also idk if it helps but this guy has been hiding in his hide a lot during the day and is sprawled out in the middle of the tank in the morning when i turn the light on

threeheadedshadow

5 Year Member
But idk if that makes a difference because the overall temp is the same just minus the light because i use a heat coil at night.

threeheadedshadow

5 Year Member
Idk if he has been eating less or not. I have noticed that there has been more food leftover the next day I throw out but I see this guy eating most of the time. They both seem to be shy and not out that much when I am home. But i know they move around and eat because the water is dirty and food is gone when i come home from work

threeheadedshadow

5 Year Member
Well the little guy looks completely better today. Not quite sure what that was about. Here are pics post bath.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452732431.783295.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452732440.100991.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452732448.940149.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1452732456.293556.jpg

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
My big guy has done this, but usually just for a minute or two. If it happens again for any prolonged period of time you may want to get it looked at. I've noticed that offering a treat that he has to tear on usually makes things return to normal.