Beak troubles again

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
Hi all. My guy has a cracked beak and so he always has strange overgrowth. Now I am wondering- it the "hook" thing on the bottom what is causing this continue? Do yours all have the same size spike on the lower jaw? Can I file it down or is that normal size?

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 4.38.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-06 at 4.38.54 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 51

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi all. My guy has a cracked beak and so he always has strange overgrowth. Now I am wondering- it the "hook" thing on the bottom what is causing this continue? Do yours all have the same size spike on the lower jaw? Can I file it down or is that normal size?

Thanks

The lower beak should not have that sharp spike on it. If possible file it down to be flat and make it even with the parts of the beak on either side of it. If you can't do it yourself, take it to the vet and have it done. This will continue to cause the upper beak to split till it is flattened and stays flat or only very mildly pointed.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Ditto what Zovic said.

Here’s a close in pix of our Sully’s beak. She can easily grab individual blades of grass, weed stalks, mazuri pellets, etc. - nice even beak enables a good “bite”.

46574144-DA05-4CFB-A233-44857B4BC502.jpeg

fanofthedog

5 Year Member
The lower beak should not have that sharp spike on it. If possible file it down to be flat and make it even with the parts of the beak on either side of it. If you can't do it yourself, take it to the vet and have it done. This will continue to cause the upper beak to split till it is flattened and stays flat or only very mildly pointed.
Well NO WONDER why this keeps happening!! We have had his beak worked on once a year at the vet and the vet never mentions the bottom so now I can finally see WHY we are in this mess!! His bottom was always pointy so I wasn't sure if it was supposed to be that way!! THANK YOU!!!!