Beak "tusks" ???

Philip Tyrrell

Location (City and/or State)
Dublin, Ireland
Our Shelby has developed what look like small tusks to the side of her beak. I'm not sure they are normal.
Is her beak a little long?
She doesn't have any issues eating and is otherwise healthy and active (to active my wife would say).

Sorry about the dirt on her face. Photos were post soak and first thing she does is stick her face in the ground after I've cleaned out her table.

IMG_1084.jpg IMG_1082.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It looks like the sides of the beak are chipping and are ready to come off. This is because the beak is slightly overgrown. Has the tortoise ever shown an interest in biting on a cuttlebone? She needs something hard to bite on to help that come off and to wear down the beak naturally. Don't cut up her food. If you think it is causing her to not be able to eat properly, you can take her to the vet for a trim.

Philip Tyrrell

Dublin, Ireland
It looks like the sides of the beak are chipping and are ready to come off. This is because the beak is slightly overgrown. Has the tortoise ever shown an interest in biting on a cuttlebone? She needs something hard to bite on to help that come off and to wear down the beak naturally. Don't cut up her food. If you think it is causing her to not be able to eat properly, you can take her to the vet for a trim.

She has worked on a cuttle before. There is still a piece in with her but I think she ignores that now. I might get a new one and see if it interest her again. I usually only tear her food in to 2 inch sized pieces so she has to rip it with her feet and beak. She gets the odd pellet a couple of times a week but she loves them and doesn't tend to bite off pieces. I'll keep an eye on here and if her eating drops off I'll get it trimmed.