Beautiful Box Gentleman

kvcockrell

Location (City and/or State)
Knoxville, TN
Hey there all you beautiful and knowledgeable people! My friend found this tortoise in her yard in Alabama. I have several questions: 1. What type of box tortoise is he? 2. Any age guesses? 3. She has kept him in an outdoor enclosure for over a year now, but needs to re-home him because she is moving. Anyone interested? Or should I re-post this in a different thread? 4. He's pretty outgoing for a box tortoise, very active, and loves to climb! I would take him, but I do not have room for another indoor enclosure (of appropriate size). Last, but not least, 5: Thank you for your help!

20140907_180844.jpg 20140907_180916.jpg 20140907_180926.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Hey there all you beautiful and knowledgeable people! My friend found this tortoise in her yard in Alabama. I have several questions: 1. What type of box tortoise is he? 2. Any age guesses? 3. She has kept him in an outdoor enclosure for over a year now, but needs to re-home him because she is moving. Anyone interested? Or should I re-post this in a different thread? 4. He's pretty outgoing for a box tortoise, very active, and loves to climb! I would take him, but I do not have room for another indoor enclosure (of appropriate size). Last, but not least, 5: Thank you for your help!

Looks like an ornate box turtle. Age is difficult to tell with turtles and tortoises. Try reposting in adoptions. Also post if your willing to ship or only local pick up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, not an ornata. That's a beautiful male eastern box turtle (Terrapene carolina carolina).

Is the turtle now in Alabama?

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If it is native to your friends area please put it back where you found it . These guys are territorial and will run other males out . So its best to put him in his home . If that home just so happens to be your yard then enjoy the wild buddy you're lucky to have .

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it is native to your friends area please put it back where you found it . These guys are territorial and will run other males out . So its best to put him in his home . If that home just so happens to be your yard then enjoy the wild buddy you're lucky to have .

Please don't put it back.. They have had it for a year already. Once captive, please don't put it back. However, I do believe if it is native to your area, not sure if you can remove it from your state. Check your laws.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
If the turtle is native to that area and has been kept in an outdoor enclosure wouldn't it be fine to release it? If they remember where they found it? Or could the OPD keep it in an outdoor enclosure in their yard? If it is native to that area and has a proper outdoor enclosure it would be able to hibernate during the winter. if the enclosure is set up properly for this.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No. There are strict laws against releasing turtles and tortoises that have been in captivity for any length of time.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man, I totally didn't see where you said had him for a year! My bad been working to hard this week or something .

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Beautiful torts......

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Beautiful turtle. Too bad his beak is so deformed. And such a pity he was taken out of the breeding population.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
The ecology preserve at auburn university always has room for a box turtle to live.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I would love to have this guy but i would have to keep him outside and would have to build enclosure first. Also i'm in Arkansas and don't know how to get him here other than a 700-mile round trip. But i feel a particular affinity for him.
I live in the woods and have plenty of cool plants like opuntia, chickweed, lamb's quarters, mulberry, squash, cukes, grapevines, plantain, etc. as well as fridge space if needed for future brumation.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
Actually i do have indoor space for a narrow table, 2' wide but up to 10' long.
And i could get a tall-sided pool or something to make an outdoor enclosure. Take him in at night in case of raccoons. Or else build a cyclone-fence lid for the enclosure.
Also i have a truck-driving friend that could probably move him along the hwy from state to state.