Becoming a torty lover

derangedplanet

Hello, I am new to owning a tortoise but have owned many various animals both exotic and not my whole life. I recently had a miscarriage, and all things considered I thought maybe now was finally the time to get myself a sulcata. I have found this site especially helpful in learning how my tortoise should live. I live in SC. I've found that there are some differing opinions on how to keep a sulcata. For example while trying to be certain about what temp to make his basking area(he's two months) i found some people say not to go over 90, others say between 100 and 110...is this mostly up to interpretation or is one of those pieces of advice better than the other? my darlings is named tortilla. I keep tortilla in a tub that is 3'x1.75'x8" tall. I know there is speculation about how we should give them a lot of space. but watching him run around at this size I cant see him doing okay with his stuff more spread out. I am planting some grass seeds for him today as well as dandelion among a few others because our yard is cared for for us and I doubt the grass is safe. I currently feed him mostly mixed greens and spring mix. But plan to start introducing him to grass as soon as possible. He has both a heating lamp and uvb lamp inside, both are on one side of his tank so he can bask when needs but doesnt always have to. I currently keep the basking temp at 102 about. He climbs into his water dish regularly and enjoys his hide. I take his entire enclosure outside and leave it in the sun when it is warmer outside(80 or so) and he is much more active when outside than in. My only questions are:
The best basking temp, there seems to be a difference in opinion on it
How often he should be soaked? some say no more than 3 a week, others say up to 2 times a day
Why is he so much more active in the same tank outside compared to in? is it the humidity?
Also he appears to already have a rather bumpy shell, I got him from an exotic pet store who was very picky about how they be kept so I am confused to understand how he already seems to have some pyramiding?

also do not worry for my tortilla, it will be well kept for. I plan to get a new place where she can run around in the and within the next year. My life is now revolved around this little one, he is helping quite a bit with the emotional loss.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. Sorry for your loss. The information here is the best, most up to date information available. It is from people who have been raising tortoises for decades with excellent results.
In the Sulcata section You will find pinned care guides that will answer all of your questions.

derangedplanet

i've looked at many of the guides, the only thing is it seems many people have differing opinions.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
i've looked at many of the guides, the only thing is it seems many people have differing opinions.
We at the TFO have many members some young some old some that have had torts like me 13 years some 13 days and trying to help . They mean well and do know a lot but still learning . I don't have sulcata's ! I have many types one is 28 leopards . And there are some great people that have sulcata's @Tom @ Yvonne and many more

derangedplanet

I'm mostly just wondering over specifics. Or does 10 degrees make a big difference in the basking temp? Kinda thing. Or does it matter if I soak tortilla every day? Or should I only sometimes.

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
For the 1st year, soak daily. As he gets older reduce soaks. Adults only need soaked occasionally depending on the tortoise and environment. The basking area should be about 100F. Never let temps anywhere go below 80F. Humidity is very important, and needs to be maintained at 80 percent or more. You will need a closed chamber enclosure.