Bedding

Sandy W

Location (City and/or State)
Scotts valley CA
I inherited some desert tortoises. I keep them outside in an enclosed environment but need to bring them in soon. Lots of rain here. CA I plan on a large box in the garage - what is the best bedding for them To hibernate in ?

KG605

New York City
Hi. I wondering what you used. I see no one responded and it was a few months back.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi. I wondering what you used. I see no one responded and it was a few months back.
I see a sulcata in your avatar pic, not a desert tortoise.

Here is the sulcata care info, including substrate:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
@Sandy W

Hi Sandy, and a belated "WELCOME" to the Forum!!

I'm sorry you didn't received any responses to your enquiry about what substrate to hibernate your desert tortoises in. I don't know what happened, as I try to respond to every thread.

For next winter, here's what I do:

I have a nice cinderblock shelter built for my desert tortoises under the deep shade of a mulberry tree. First of all I added a bit of dirt to the area where I was going to build the shelter, to put it up slightly higher than the surrounding ground. Then I placed masonry caps on the ground to build on. I added cinderblock walls, two bricks high, leaving an opening for a doorway. I used a piece of rigid foam with a piece of plywood over that for the roof. When it's time for them to brumate I start stuffing fallen leaves into the shelter. During Autumn the tortoises stop eating, then they come out and sun themselves and go back in on a daily basis. Once I realize they're no longer coming out, I add more leaves then block the doorway so they can't come out. I start raking up leaves from around the property and cover the whole shelter with the leaves.

I've allowed my desert tortoises to brumate in this manner for about five or six years now (maybe more).

I hope you didn't get the wrong impression about us because no one responded to your question. We're glad to have you here. Desert tortoises are one of my very favorite species and I'd love to see pictures of yours.