Bedding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markreyes

5 Year Member
Hi, i am about to get my greek tortoise in about a week and was wondering what type of bedding is best. I heard that some types are dangerous such as calc sand and hemp. I read that 50/50 play sand and soil is usually good but im not sure and would like some opinions. Whats the best/safest type of substrate for the tortoise in the indoor enclosure?

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
Markreyes said:
Hi, i am about to get my greek tortoise in about a week and was wondering what type of bedding is best. I heard that some types are dangerous such as calc sand and hemp. I read that 50/50 play sand and soil is usually good but im not sure and would like some opinions. Whats the best/safest type of substrate for the tortoise in the indoor enclosure?

I do not have a Greek mines a Hermann so i am not ure of the requirement of yours buti use Aspen and bark chips in her table but i am waiting for a delivery of Coconut Humus and Sphagnum moss to put in her hide and in the humibity area as the aspen and bark does not retain humidaty well.I use a Soil and play sand mix in her outside pen but i know u have to watch then as eating sand causes impact, but i live i the UK so she does not get out that often so and when she is out i stay with her as i live in a area were she would get stolen. If she starts trying to eat this i am planning on changing to cocnut Coir and soil out there.

Missy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
I use organic soil and cocanut choir mixed. Cyrpress mulch is also a good choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.