Bedding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheldon13

5 Year Member
Hi everyone! So, question time! When we bought our tortoise Sheldon he came with a wood chip bedding but as we knew this wasn't good for him, when it came to clean out time we switched to a soil mix bedding that was better for him on the health side. However this was completely impractical. It smelt vile most of the time and he trailed it around the floor making a mess EVERYWHERE!
So, apart from the two I've mentioned above, what would be the best substrate? Hemp, aspen, pellets?
Thanks in advance!
:tort:

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Winnipeg, MB
Currently, my hermannis live on 50:50 top soil-peat mix.

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE], & Aussies (@YWG)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Orchid bark, cypress mulch, peat, coco coir, and plain old yard dirt will work too.

Its hard to find the right kind of plain old soil and it DOES tend to be really "dirty".

BTW, I would not put your tortoise on the floor either. This is a really dangerous practice. Many tortoises have been injured or killed this way. They are much safer in their own environment.

sheldon13

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Orchid bark, cypress mulch, peat, coco coir, and plain old yard dirt will work too.

Its hard to find the right kind of plain old soil and it DOES tend to be really "dirty".

BTW, I would not put your tortoise on the floor either. This is a really dangerouus practice. Many tortoises have been injured or killed this way. They are much safer in their own environment.

Unfortunately his table is quite small and he has been known to climb out and so we figured that an empty floor with his heat lamp is best through out the day when we are not there. We are in the process of getting him a new one.Thank you every one for you comments

Status
Not open for further replies.