Beet Pulp...

EllyMae

Location (City and/or State)
Shellman, GA
Hello. I was buying some grain to start begin my winter feeding schedule for my horse.

If you don't care about horses skip to *********************
I like to feed her soaked beet pulp (I try to get unsweetened with molassas), that's soaked with warm water. I like to give this to her on days that are abnormally cold. Like if one morning is 20degrees, but it has only been getting down to the 40s lately. I also like to use the soaked beet pulp to encorage hydration, as I don't have a water tank heater, and cold water is not as palatable, so some horses won't drink as much as they need.

Glad you're back!
I was wondering if my beet pulp shreds, soaked, would be ok in monderation for my sulcata. I wondered if it would aid in hydration as well, as it does with horses.

Guaranteed Analysis:

Crude Protein (min) 7.5%
Crude Fat (min) 0.5%
Crude Fiber (max) 21%

Of course this would be in addition to grass and weeds in his pen, Mazuri, and some chopped up hay.

pawsplus

Location (City and/or State)
Nashville, TN
I wouldn't feed beet pulp to a tortoise (and I also have horses). Honestly, I'm not a fan of it for horses, as it's a pretty unnatural substance (just the fibrous part left when everything else has been removed for other purposes--it's really just a by-product they found a use for). I give my horses timothy cubes soaked in hot water, which accomplishes your goal more naturally. Depending on species of tortoise, you could do the same thing for them. I get dehydrated weeds from Kapidolo Farms and Tortoise Supply and do that.

Reactions: Tom