Beginner to parenting!

Lauren88

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle upon Tyne
Just wanting to check a few things. My tortoise has in his house mixed salad leaves. Bowl of water. And bowl of water with some holistic diet pellets from reptile shop. Is this okay? Also, went to see him before and lamp and light still on but he put himself in his bed part. Is this normal. Thanks in advance x

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Just wanting to check a few things. My tortoise has in his house mixed salad leaves. Bowl of water. And bowl of water with some holistic diet pellets from reptile shop. Is this okay? Also, went to see him before and lamp and light still on but he put himself in his bed part. Is this normal. Thanks in advance x
Sure it's normal, but should not be commonplace (to leave the light on all night). Do you have a separate dish for its food? The bags of salad greens don't contain much nutrients BTW. Can you post some pics of the tort and its enclosure? I see the one in your profile pic, but I am blind and can't make out much from it. lol

Lauren88

Newcastle upon Tyne
What else can I get for him to eat? I don’t have better photo really.i can’t capture it properly. He has closed quarter for sleeping. Water bowl. And I will buy a separate bowl for his food. I have turned lights off after 13 hours

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
What else can I get for him to eat? I don’t have better photo really.i can’t capture it properly. He has closed quarter for sleeping. Water bowl. And I will buy a separate bowl for his food. I have turned lights off after 13 hours

If you do not have timers, get timers. Everyone should have timers. They barely use any wattage and are fairly cheap.

Lauren88

Newcastle upon Tyne
That’s what I was told. Is it normal for them to be in sleeping enclosure quite late in morning. Went to see before and that’s where he was

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
My indoor tortoises tend to sleep more than my outdoor tortoises. Indoor tortoises are often given all of their food instead of being allowed to graze or forage for it. They'll usually wake up, eat, digest/sleep and then continue this cycle until the lights go off. Sleeping shouldn't be much of an issue if temperatures are correct and the tortoise is peeing and pooping regularly. A larger enclosure with potted plants and other decorative/functional objects may encourage them to explore more often.

How old is your tortoise? Young and recently bought tortoises require time to adjust to new surroundings. Spending the majority of their time hiding is quite normal.

Lauren88

Newcastle upon Tyne
He is a very young tortoise. I plan to buy more to encourage him out soon. He seems happy enough now mind. It’s food I worry about with him as only access to grocery items really. This is his housing.

Attachments

• 27483A27-A804-4232-89E3-141DF1205B6E.jpeg
    27483A27-A804-4232-89E3-141DF1205B6E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 9

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
He is a very young tortoise. I plan to buy more to encourage him out soon. He seems happy enough now mind. It’s food I worry about with him as only access to grocery items really. This is his housing.

What do you mean buy more? More as in more tortoises? Because tortoises should be best left alone, one to a single enclosure to prevent bullying, harassing, and fighting from occurring.

Reads the links provided above. Double check to make sure you're getting the right temperature zones; basking, warm side, low side, and overnight low with the current setup you have going. Humidity levels should also be around 50-70% for adult Hermanns and Russians. Raising it to 70-80% while they're young is strongly recommended.