Newbie to tort parenting

KAT7278

Location (City and/or State)
Rapid City
Hi all. I am new to tort parenting - 6 months in. My little Fred is age unknown possible female. New to this site and just curious about the aspects of the forum - was not able to open the About this forum section. Anyone able to give me the basic gist of the site? I'm always looking to ask crazy new mama questions from experienced tort parents.
Thank you in advance

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kat, and welcome to the site!

This is the place where newbies to tortoise-keeping can ask questions without the fear of being ridiculed, the place where the more experienced can share info and tips and just a darned good place to find camaraderie with like minded people.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all. I am new to tort parenting - 6 months in. My little Fred is age unknown possible female. New to this site and just curious about the aspects of the forum - was not able to open the About this forum section. Anyone able to give me the basic gist of the site? I'm always looking to ask crazy new mama questions from experienced tort parents.
Thank you in advance
Hello and welcome. What species is your tortoise? I can't tell from your picture.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Redfoots need to be in closed chambers with high humidity. I do not own or know much about them, but I do know that an open top/ or a rabbit cage will not be suitable for his prolong health. Please upgrade/update.

@ZEROPILOT

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Redfoots need to be in closed chambers with high humidity. I do not own or know much about them, but I do know that an open top/ or a rabbit cage will not be suitable for his prolong health. Please upgrade/update.

@ZEROPILOT
I agree
If that is a Redfoot. That enclosure is all wrong.
You're going to need a semi sealed enclosure to hold in humidity and warmth.
(Actuality, that cage won't work for any tortoise)
Redfoot need humidity of over 70% 24/7 and a temperature of 80 to 86.
The best way to obtain these parameters is with a Closed Chamber enclosure.
You want to avoid extra bright lights. You can use a thermostat controlled Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE) for heat without light. Day and night. And use a T5 HO UVB 5.0 linear florescent tube lamp for the required UVB
What heating/lighting are you using?
It's very possible you need to make several changes. But it will all help you and your new friend be happy and stay healthy