Sad Tort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TacoTheTortoise

5 Year Member
Ever since I've let her roam around outside, my little tort hasn't been her normal self. Now, she constantly claws at the sides of her enclosure all day and night, driving me crazy, she won't eat anything but apples, and then hides in her shell. Her enclosure is near a window, and I can see her sticking her head up as high as it will go just to look outside. The weather here is a bit cold right now, but when it's in the upper 70s, i always try to let her out!
Have any of you guys ever experienced this? And if so, how did you get your tort to stop moping around? Thanks in advance! <3

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Cover the lower part of the enclosure so she can't see out. Also, for now, maybe move her away from the window. As for the food. Chop greens up and chop apples up just a little smaller then greens. Mix together and spritz with water. Water helps greens stick to apple. If she wants the apple, she'll have to eat some greens too. Eventfully, make it less and less apple.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Your post just reaffirms in my mind that tortoises belong outside! I understand that sometimes they have to be protected from the weather, but, in my opinion, a tortoise's main home should be a nice, safe habitat outside, to be brought inside to the secondary habitat during inclement weather.

You didn't say what kind of tortoise Taco is. Because of the name I was thinking he is a redfooted tortoise, but his actions say Russian tortoise to me.

TacoTheTortoise

5 Year Member
tortoise007 said:
Could you post some pics of your enclosure? I'd do what wellington said.

I can't post any pictures right now, but it's a large plastic, translucent tub with a mix of 50/50 reptile bark and peat moss.

TacoTheTortoise

5 Year Member
emysemys said:

Your post just reaffirms in my mind that tortoises belong outside! I understand that sometimes they have to be protected from the weather, but, in my opinion, a tortoise's main home should be a nice, safe habitat outside, to be brought inside to the secondary habitat during inclement weather.

You didn't say what kind of tortoise Taco is. Because of the name I was thinking he is a redfooted tortoise, but his actions say Russian tortoise to me.

Oh sorry! She's a PetCo Russian (I know, I know, PetCo isn't the best) I've considered keeping her outside, but I'm kind of scared to, because of hawks, dogs, deer, and occasionally wolves where I live, not to mention some curious children in the neighborhood. I really don't think any outside enclosure is 100% safe against them.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
TacoTheTortoise said:
emysemys said:

Oh sorry! She's a PetCo Russian (I know, I know, PetCo isn't the best) I've considered keeping her outside, but I'm kind of scared to, because of hawks, dogs, deer, and occasionally wolves where I live, not to mention some curious children in the neighborhood. I really don't think any outside enclosure is 100% safe against them.

Build her an outside enclosure w/ a lid made of 1/2" mesh, one that can be padlocked shut. Safe and healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.