beginner's problems

Vilt

Location (City and/or State)
Lithuania
If I can fit the tube in a closed enclosure at 14.6 inch high, should i buy a regular t-5, as it produces less UV?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
In other parts of the world bulbs are labeled differently.
The R stands for standard reflector. Same as our BR or flood light. SP is their spot light we see as PAR.
The 14 is the same as all lights everywhere. IT is the diameter of the light bulb in 1/8ths of an inch. So a R14 bulb is a flood bulb that is 1 3/4" in diameter. (25 watt bulbs are often smaller like that.
Thank you Mark.

Vilt

Lithuania
Thank you all! And do you have any tips how to help him with his "sun" burnt eyes?? When i give him a bath i pour some warm water over them..

Vilt

Lithuania
i couldn't find a HO, but would these two be okay ? I' ll order an HO online..
is pine bark okay? no orchid bark without fertilisers20200116_203529.jpg 20200116_203529.jpg 20200116_202436.jpg 20200116_195733.jpg

Last edited:

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
i couldn't find a HO, but would these two be okay ? I' ll order an HO online..
is pine bark okay? no orchid bark without fertilisersView attachment 284994 View attachment 284994 View attachment 284995 View attachment 284996

I do not believe Pine Bark is OK! Fir Bark is the same as Orchid Bark or Reptibark in Pet shops. Fine to Medium Grade is best and can be found at Garden centers at a much better price. Pure Cypress bark is fine too. You must be careful with mulches as they often contain other things that are not desirable.

The T5 and T8 will take a different type of fixture as the T5 is smaller in diameter than the T8. I know the HO T5 comes in different %. The % you use will depend upon how far away your fixture will be from your tort. The further away the higher the %.

I have heard keepers like the Vetericyn Eye Wash for irritated eyes. This company also makes a Veteran Plus Gel that would stay on the eye a little longer and would fight infection should it be present.

Vilt

Lithuania
I do not believe Pine Bark is OK! Fir Bark is the same as Orchid Bark or Reptibark in Pet shops. Fine to Medium Grade is best and can be found at Garden centers at a much better price. Pure Cypress bark is fine too. You must be careful with mulches as they often contain other things that are not desirable.

The T5 and T8 will take a different type of fixture as the T5 is smaller in diameter than the T8. I know the HO T5 comes in different %. The % you use will depend upon how far away your fixture will be from your tort. The further away the higher the %.

I have heard keepers like the Vetericyn Eye Wash for irritated eyes. This company also makes a Veteran Plus Gel that would stay on the eye a little longer and would fight infection should it be present.

Thank you :) i didn't buy the pine bark
also, the hatchling is so small i'm afraid i might spray the eye, not only around it ( read that it's not okay), so maybe i should buy fluker's eye rinse? has anyone used it?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Vetericyn Ophthalmic Gel, 1.5oz
71dPuIUat3L._SL1500_.jpg

It is just a lrge eye drop bottle. I also use this on my dogs and cats, definately and animal first aid item

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you :) i didn't buy the pine bark
also, the hatchling is so small i'm afraid i might spray the eye, not only around it ( read that it's not okay), so maybe i should buy fluker's eye rinse? has anyone used it?
Vetercyn is not a spray. The gel is easier to apply.