Behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

saukee9

5 Year Member
Hello! My tortoise's name is Boris. I purchased Boris from PetSmart in the spring and he has done very well. He lives in a home made run that I made from an old book shelf with the shelves out. It is very nice and measures about 3 1/2 feet by 2 1/2 feet. We live in Illinois, and this spring, summer and early fall, he lived out side on in this run. When the weather turned to 60's day and 40's night, we moved him inside. We have heat lamps and uva/uvb lamps. Outside, he as eating good and very active. When we moved him inside, he was the same for a while, but now he has started sleeping all the time and doesn't eat much at all. I know he may be feeling like it is time to hibernate, but I'm not sure, and I am scared to help him artificially do this. Advice PLEASE!!!!

Thank-you![/size][/font]

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Since you just recently got him I would suggest not hibernating him...it is not going to cause him to forget what to do by skipping it a year :D and just continue providing heat and uvb ..water and food along with a calm safe location...he should be just fine....also, this will allow you additional time to research brumation to find out if this is a function you will allow him to continue or not....IMHO:D

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
you should make the enclosure reach temps considerably higher than it was getting outside when you brought him in.

Leroy's_homeboy

5 Year Member
SE Wisconsin
Saukee, I'm a little North of you, in Kenosha, WI, and my Russian has been acting in a fairly similar manner...eating little and sleeping a lot. Some days he'll be very active, running around, destroying everything in his enclosure. Other days he'll peek his head out of his hide, decide he doesn't want to come out, and he'll sleep for the better part of the day. I haven't been a tortoise keeper for very long (since Aug. 1st), but I would guess that as long as he feels heavy, his eyes are clear and bright, his nose isn't runny, and he's pooping, he should be fine.

Utah Lynn

5 Year Member
My RT's have been doing the same thing. I finally dug my male out this morning to check on him. He basked for a moment, had a nibble of Romaine and went back to bed. Is this a normal thing for them to do, even tho it's inside and nice and warm? Should I wake them daily to soak them?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
This seems to be something I am seeing alot of folks little russians doing this time of year....I "believe" the evolutionary clock ticks louder for some than others...LOL
IMHO of course...

saukee9

5 Year Member
That's interesting that this behavior is happening to a lot of others also. He does feel heavy, eats if I pull him out of his burrow, and his eyes are clear. Yesterday, he did come out and knocked his items in his run around and went back in his cave. Today, I had to pull him out to eat. I guess I will just keep an eye on him. Oh! And I have been making sure that I run the humidifier in his room so the moisture in the air stays good. Lamps lights during the day (7:00a.m. to 9:00 p.m.). Red heat lamp during the night.
[/size][/font]

Status
Not open for further replies.