Behaviour patterns

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manchester, UK
Hi guys

First of all sorry if this is under the wrong section.

Are tortoises a creature of habit?
The reason I ask is because we have been away for two weeks & had family looking after Sheldon. Now we're back his character has totally changed. He no longer wants to play out & doesnt want his usual tickles anymore. I am finding this a bit upsetting.:(
Am I right to be worried?:s :huh:
Is this his way of sulking& saying that's what you get for leaving me?

Does anyone have any ideas?
All comments are more than welcome.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
They can be yes. Mine settle into routines all the time and act differently towards different people. I left my juvenile box turtles with friends for two weeks and when I got back they were spoiled rotten little turds. They now expect to be hand fed because the people I left them with had fun letting their 2 year old feed them worms. Still, it sounds a bit wrong that your little guy should behave so differently in that manner. I hope more experienced people chime in. This is an interesting question and I leave mine in baby sitter care often so I would also like to know what is going on with your Sheldon. Good luck!

Vicki78

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
Thanks for your response.

This has developed a little more now. He is really nervous & jumpy (if a tort can be jumpy? But I guess you know what I mean?) When I go to pick him up for his bath etc.
He really do seem to be totally out of sorts. I have been giving him a supplement dust that is supposed to boost his immune system if he is stressed but it doesn't appear to have any effect.
Has anyone out there any advice?
This is disturbing & upsetting.