If you wouldn't say it to their face, then PLEASE be careful how you say it on TFO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Rawlins, Wyoming
Laurie said:
I also think its equally as rude for some people who ask questions when it is clear they made no attempt to read any information on here. This forum has a wealth of information that is easy to access. I'm not saying its wrong to ask questions obviously, but when the same question was asked and answered six times on the same page, it just bothers me a bit. My own personal pet peeve I guess :)

I have to disagree with this.
When you do a search on this forum there is no telling what you are going to get. People respond to questions without having read all the information given. Later responders give an answer not only without completely reading the OP, but also without reading the subsequent discussion. A muddled mess, but that's only the beginning.
Next there are lots of responses that are conflicting. Our forum lacks concensus on any number of issues. That's not a bad thing, but to a first time user it is not helpful.
We also tend to give a lot of one-size-fits-all answers, ignoring the fact that cares for testudo are different from cares for sulcata are different from cares for boxies..... and on and on. Maybe we could determine the species and age of the animal before giving an answer. Sometimes the responder already has this information because it was included in the OP or previous posts of the questioner.
We give answers that make the assumption that all climates are the same. THEY ARE NOT!!!!
We also give answers without offering any kind of support or evidence for our answers. This is often because the information we are sharing is 3rd hand or worse. Why should anyone believe what we are saying just because we say it?
Perhaps the worst thing I see happening on this forum is that we have people answering questions who have extremely limited experience, or NO experience, and are just parroting what was told to them. Including mis-information.
I'll try a search of the forum first, but it's pretty much a morass.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Edna said:
When you do a search on this forum there is no telling what you are going to get. People respond to questions without having read all the information given. Later responders give an answer not only without completely reading the OP, but also without reading the subsequent discussion. A muddled mess, but that's only the beginning.
Next there are lots of responses that are conflicting. Our forum lacks concensus on any number of issues. That's not a bad thing, but to a first time user it is not helpful.
We also tend to give a lot of one-size-fits-all answers, ignoring the fact that cares for testudo are different from cares for sulcata are different from cares for boxies..... and on and on. Maybe we could determine the species and age of the animal before giving an answer. Sometimes the responder already has this information because it was included in the OP or previous posts of the questioner.
We give answers that make the assumption that all climates are the same. THEY ARE NOT!!!!
We also give answers without offering any kind of support or evidence for our answers. This is often because the information we are sharing is 3rd hand or worse. Why should anyone believe what we are saying just because we say it?
Perhaps the worst thing I see happening on this forum is that we have people answering questions who have extremely limited experience, or NO experience, and are just parroting what was told to them. Including mis-information.

Great points! I may be the only person who feels this way, but when I go looking using the search function I have troubles. Even when I know at the back of my mind, that I saw a thread on this or that subject, it can be hard to locate it. Sometimes the word I would use for the search is not the exact one they used in the thread. I have gotten frustrated almost every time I use the search function, so I avoid it. :(

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
RE: If you wouldn't say it to their face, then PLEASE be careful how you say it on TF

Edna said:
Tom said:
No you're not.

You are certainly a man of few words this morning!

Would you say abrupt and rude, maybe...?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Jacqui said:
Edna said:

Great points! I may be the only person who feels this way, but when I go looking using the search function I have troubles. Even when I know at the back of my mind, that I saw a thread on this or that subject, it can be hard to locate it. Sometimes the word I would use for the search is not the exact one they used in the thread. I have gotten frustrated almost every time I use the search function, so I avoid it. :(

I absolutely agree with this. This has happened to me so many times, when I'm looking up things....not just here, but on other forums too.
I was a new member a while ago on another forum, and gave someone advise for using vivariums for their young box turtles. Boy did I get blasted. Never again. Now I always say this is just what I do.

Alan RF

5 Year Member
United Kingdom
RE: If you wouldn't say it to their face, then PLEASE be careful how you say it on T

As a newcomer I would like to say thanks for everyone's advice so far. This site is excellent and beneficial to anyone who owns a tortoise and needs to share their problems or just show pictures etc with like minded people from all over the world :)

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
RE: If you wouldn't say it to their face, then PLEASE be careful how you say it on TF

Tom said:
Edna said:
Tom said:
No you're not.

You are seldom abrupt and never rude. One can be a man of few words without being either. I thought your response would be "No, I'm not."

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Edna said:
Laurie said:
I also think its equally as rude for some people who ask questions when it is clear they made no attempt to read any information on here. This forum has a wealth of information that is easy to access. I'm not saying its wrong to ask questions obviously, but when the same question was asked and answered six times on the same page, it just bothers me a bit. My own personal pet peeve I guess :)

I'm going to try to explain what I meant a little better, because I believe you misunderstood me, Edna. I am or was in no way saying that people shouldn't ask questions simply because its been posted before. What bothers me is when people make NO effort at all to learn some information. For instance, "my tortoise pooped white stuff", its a question that we see many times on this forum. Anybody who reads a little bit in the health section will come across information on this, there is even a sticky at the top of the page explaining it. It doesn't require the search function to find, it just takes a little effort. Now, if after reading some on it a person has a question, by all means ask away. I do think however, they should've at least attempted to look. I think learning is a two way street.

I understand there is a lot of confusing and conflicting information. I don't think there is any RIGHT answer to any question on here. People should read through the information and form their own opinions that apply to their situations.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Laurie said:
I'm going to try to explain what I meant a little better, because I believe you misunderstood me, Edna. I am or was in no way saying that people shouldn't ask questions simply because its been posted before. What bothers me is when people make NO effort at all to learn some information. For instance, "my tortoise pooped white stuff", its a question that we see many times on this forum. Anybody who reads a little bit in the health section will come across information on this, there is even a sticky at the top of the page explaining it. It doesn't require the search function to find, it just takes a little effort. Now, if after reading some on it a person has a question, by all means ask away. I do think however, they should've at least attempted to look. I think learning is a two way street.

I understand there is a lot of confusing and conflicting information. I don't think there is any RIGHT answer to any question on here. People should read through the information and form their own opinions that apply to their situations.

Point granted:)
Sometimes the motivation behind the questions is something other than wanting information about their tortoise. If I detect another motivation, I ignore the question. That might make me a bad person.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Note to self: stop talking about people behind their backs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Edna said:
Tom said:
Edna said:
Tom said:
No you're not.

You are seldom abrupt and never rude. One can be a man of few words without being either. I thought your response would be "No, I'm not."

That would have been funnier... I'm a better dog trainer than a comedian...

Laurie said:

No way. EVERYTHING must me done entirely my way or it's wrong wrong, all wrong! Tom's way or the highway!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
dmmj said:
Note to self: stop talking about people behind their backs.

So instead publicly say it??? :D

Tom said:
No way. EVERYTHING must me done entirely my way or it's wrong wrong, all wrong! Tom's way or the highway!

Can I sticky this??? :p :D

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
RE: If you wouldn't say it to their face, then PLEASE be careful how you say it on T

Tom said:

Lol, another silly male :)

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
CLMoss said:
All is cool if you don't talk about; religion, politics, animal rights, etc., etc., etc....

Why so many "etc, etc, etc" with you? Go with the flow.. :D

I have learned to read more and talk less on this forum. This helps me to avoid a lot of trouble (I think). I think it is very, very important to remember what brought all of us here in the first place. Our love of tortoises. If we can all keep this in mind when we answer a question or even ask a question this forum will remain a friendly and awesome place to come. When we lose sight of this, this is when things start to fall apart. This of course is just my opinion.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona

So I'm lazy and didn't read all of the posts but I will say the two Sulcata's I now have I got off of CL. I didn't buy them, the gal was moving and didn't want to take them with her. I called and asked my diet, supplement, and lighting questions and at one point she said she didn't care about getting money for them she just wanted them to go to a good home. She said I was the only person that asked her any questions about them and if I wanted them to come get them.
When I got there, she told me about the “good" diet of spinach she had been raising them on. She also supplemented with those boxed mixed greens. Needless to say, they've got some pyramiding going on and because of this, I've been reluctant to post pictures. I know better, but she didn't. They took to the semi-dried grass in their enclosure easy and now pass the healthy grass/straw fill droppings of a tortoise getting a proper diet.
To sum it all up;
I leave my contact info for CL adds if they can't find a home.
Unless I know someone, I won't bash their feeding habits except gently.
I've got torts with pyramiding and I'm proud to have helped them out.
I'm too lazy to read long posts strings, but I write long posts.

LuckysGirl007

5 Year Member
Surprise, AZ

Tom said:

LOL. I go "Tom's way!".

I want to thank all of you on here for all of the great information. I have been doing CONSTANT research on how to help my Sulcata hatchlings grow up happy and healthy! There is a lot of conflicting stuff, but I also know there are a few people on here (Tom :) ) that seem to really know their stuff and are from a similar environment as myself. I'm sure people are annoyed with repetitive questions...but a lot of times the answers are different...or if I find conflicting information on different websites.

I have felt very welcome here and I feel like I have learned a lot and am so eager to learn more!

I am not being doing a perfect job with my babies....but dang am I trying my hardest!

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Lot of good folks here...BTW, is/are the afore-mentioned "new member(s)" still around?

Hopefully, all is good between them and the Forum, in general. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.