Bertha is/was sick?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bodfish
Bertha was doing great this summer.. Gaining weight and growing a lot.. But then this fall she slowed down (it's been colder than normal here) and almost stopped eating almost completely.. So I started to worry then about a week

Bertha was doing great this summer.. Gaining weight and growing a lot.. But then this fall she slowed down (it's been colder than normal here) and almost stopped eating almost completely.. And on top of that I hadn't seen her poop in 2-3 weeks. So I was worried then about a week later I noticed something white in her anus... I looked and it was a huge white stone... Blocking her poop and pee😔 so I soaked her for 2 hours! And after that she couldn't pass it so I pulled it out... And her poor anus was stuck open it was red and swollen so I soaked her again and put her to bed

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep a close eye on her. I would soak her next time in a bath tub, gives them lots of room to roam around and gets things moving, incase there is more, hopefully not.
Sounds like it might be over, fingers crossed.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Oh ouch....I would suggest soaking her for a longer than normal warm water soak each and every day for at least a couple of weeks...and the bath tub suggestion is a fantastic one offered up....you can also add a sauna effect once a week my offering up a bit of steam in the bathroom then adjust the bathtub water for her long warm soaks....:D

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hopefully, she doesn't have anymore rocks up there, but as a precaution, you may want to squirt some mineral oil up her butt with a syringe to help loosen her up. I had to do it to my tort several times because he had swallowed over 20 rocks! He finally passed them all. Don't use just any veg oil, or baby oil. Only mineral oil!

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
well thank you guys.. I didn't get to tell the whole story because for some reason I couldn't log on but anyways...
after all of that when I woke up she had a slightly soft belly... so I soaked her every day and fed her exstra muzuri and calcium.. I also gave her more heat and finaly after a month of ups and downs she is recovering!! her anus is no longer swollen I took the stone to my friend with bertha and it is a kidey stone here is what came out of my poor baby
IMG_0311_zpsd4990559.jpg
[/img]

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Poor Bertha. I hope she never has to go through that again. She bad to get that through her bladder in order for you to have pulled it from her. That's a BIG stone!

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
I KNOW right? I was shocked and sooooooo sad for her... for the first few days I had to pull out her poo for her and I soaked her a lot.... but now she is just as happy as ever I can not believe that she pssed that... Poor baby she has been through way too much in her short 2 years....

O and just to let you know that WASN'T all of it!!!!! after that was 2 more little ones and i broke that one to get it out of her thats just the biggest piece

Status
Not open for further replies.