Best bulb for light only

Jodipg82

Location (City and/or State)
Oviedo
Hello

What is a safe bulb to use for light purposes only? I have the incandescent basking light for that purpose, outside for natural UVB/UVA (Florida) and my nighttime CHE for warmth. But since moving my enclosure inside from our patio, I have lost my natural light on the side opposite of the basking side so its fairly dark and I am unable to put the enclosure near a window due to layout of the house. So I was hoping a small bulb of some sort would work just to brighten up the one side. Also humid friendly since its a Leo and im in the 80s/90s with humidity.
Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use LEDs for this. Very efficient and they don't generate much heat. They also last a very long time and make good light. You can use the conventionally shaped round ones that screw in, or you can use the under-cabinet style and mount them to the enclosure ceiling. Get the white light or "day light" type and not the warm light type. Daylight bulbs are usually 5000-6500K and the light is more balanced and "natural" looking like daylight. The warm light types are usually 2500K and look yellowish. This color rating info is right on the package. I've been using many types for several years now in 90-100% humidity closed chambers and have had zero issues with any of them.

Jodipg82

Oviedo
I use LEDs for this. Very efficient and they don't generate much heat. They also last a very long time and make good light. You can use the conventionally shaped round ones that screw in, or you can use the under-cabinet style and mount them to the enclosure ceiling. Get the white light or "day light" type and not the warm light type. Daylight bulbs are usually 5000-6500K and the light is more balanced and "natural" looking like daylight. The warm light types are usually 2500K and look yellowish. This color rating info is right on the package. I've been using many types for several years now in 90-100% humidity closed chambers and have had zero issues with any of them.
You're amazing Tom and appreciated for all your help!!

Reactions: Tom

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Since you phrased your post with what is the "best", I will add to @Tom s comments that the CRI (color rendering index) can be just as important as the Kelvin (K) color rating of a bulb.

The color rating of a bulb tells you if the light produced is more from the red side of the spectrum or blue side. The color rendering index tells you how much of the total spectrum that would come closest to natural light is included in the light, not just the one color. Remember the older, early versions of LED lights that were so blue looking? They only had a very narrow range of bluish color that was emitted. As a result, you would get a 6000K bulb - but the light looked weird and unnatural. Cheaper LEDs can do this now as well. It is less expensive to make an LED that only emits a certain wavelength. To get an LED that emits natural color with a broad spectrum, you need several different diodes that each emit a different color that adds up to the "white" you see.

So, when shopping for the best LED for our enclosures look for a good daylight color as Tom suggests in the 5000k - 6000k range. I actually go with no more than 5000K if I am adding a UVB fixture as that light will change my total lighting to a higher overall color. BUT even more important - look for an LED that lists a CRI of 90 or more. Many simply say 90+ now. Many bulbs may not have the CRI listed. I would avoid those as they probably are using less color diodes than would be needed to produce a true natural light.

Jodipg82

Oviedo
Since you phrased your post with what is the "best", I will add to @Tom s comments that the CRI (color rendering index) can be just as important as the Kelvin (K) color rating of a bulb.

The color rating of a bulb tells you if the light produced is more from the red side of the spectrum or blue side. The color rendering index tells you how much of the total spectrum that would come closest to natural light is included in the light, not just the one color. Remember the older, early versions of LED lights that were so blue looking? They only had a very narrow range of bluish color that was emitted. As a result, you would get a 6000K bulb - but the light looked weird and unnatural. Cheaper LEDs can do this now as well. It is less expensive to make an LED that only emits a certain wavelength. To get an LED that emits natural color with a broad spectrum, you need several different diodes that each emit a different color that adds up to the "white" you see.

So, when shopping for the best LED for our enclosures look for a good daylight color as Tom suggests in the 5000k - 6000k range. I actually go with no more than 5000K if I am adding a UVB fixture as that light will change my total lighting to a higher overall color. BUT even more important - look for an LED that lists a CRI of 90 or more. Many simply say 90+ now. Many bulbs may not have the CRI listed. I would avoid those as they probably are using less color diodes than would be needed to produce a true natural light.
Thanks so much!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
But I want ti hit a link you post that takes right to the light you suggest, could you do that please?