Best Canister Filter?

tylrhadn111

5 Year Member
Hi, Everyone. Im currently saving my money up so, I can purchase a canister filter, a larger tank (I currently have a 20 gallon), and a large turtle dock. I need help deciding on a relatively cheap Canister Filter that is worth the money. Does anyone have any opinions on the situation?

tortoisetime565

Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I'm a land tortoise guy but when I had water turtles, I bought one of those little wadeing pool pumps. It was like $60? And it had a big filter and everything. We use one in our pond now.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Fluval canister filters are great! They kind of expensive, but they last a long time, do a good good, and are super quiet. If you don't to spend the money, Whisper filters are great too, and have cheap media when it's time to clean the tank.
If you are loonking for water conditioner too (always a good idea!) try AP-4Z STRESS Zyme+. Keeps water clear and stops slude from building up!
Good luck with your tank:)

Deb82

5 Year Member
Honestly, I bought a SunSun on eBay as a filter to "tie me over" until I could replace my fluval and I wouldn't trade it! Two years old and going strong! Never had issues with water quality! My only gripe is that it is quite heavy. I also have a marineland c130 running in my hatchling 40gallon and it's a fantastic filter too, just more expensive.

M

Maggie Cummings

I used a Fluval for about 12 years without a problem. I had too many water turtles for the container, and the filter still kept the water clean. I recommend Fluval 100%...

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I used a Fluval for about 12 years without a problem. I had too many water turtles for the container, and the filter still kept the water clean. I recommend Fluval 100%...

I'm also a big Fluval fan! I've had a 205 and 405 running for 7 years now and set up an FX5 a year ago.
I recommend these canister filters to everyone!

AustinASU

5 Year Member
Pensacola, FL
I will only use fluval on all of my aquatics, i have right now the fluvial fx6 and love it, down to even my smallest fluval the 206. Solid products!!! The main thing you need with turtles is flow or you will end up with stagnant and oily water.

chazd1984

I second the sunsun remark! I got one when my marineland canister went out. The marineland was muuuuch more expensive but the sunsun works just as well if not better!

mrsfuchs

Hi, I have a 100 gallon pond outside in SoCal. I've used a submersible filter/pump for years and it has worked great. I'm just really tired of how gross it is to fish it out of the pond and clean in weekly. I'd like to get an external canister and pump. I'd prefer them be combined in one unit. The information out there is overwhelming and a lot of it targeted towards aquariums. I have 2 RES turtles (1 full grown, 1 about 6"). I've got water lettuce in the pond as well...and a bunch of feeder fish. Looking for something easy, efficient and effective.

If anyone has any recommendations, I'd really appreciate your suggestions. THX

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi, I have a 100 gallon pond outside in SoCal. I've used a submersible filter/pump for years and it has worked great. I'm just really tired of how gross it is to fish it out of the pond and clean in weekly. I'd like to get an external canister and pump. I'd prefer them be combined in one unit. The information out there is overwhelming and a lot of it targeted towards aquariums. I have 2 RES turtles (1 full grown, 1 about 6"). I've got water lettuce in the pond as well...and a bunch of feeder fish. Looking for something easy, efficient and effective.

Aquatop/SunSun CF400 or larger Are inexpensive canister filters with UV sterilizer.
I use them.
They are very inexpensive but are reliable and work well.
I'm just not sure if they are waterproof enough to use outdoors.
I've never used them outdoors.
(This is a canister filter thread from 2014)
For a simple 100 gallon pond, I'd use something like a BECKET X-5 sponge filter system with a fountain or use the output to power a water feature.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida

@Toddrickfl1 has a small indoor pond (in his basement, I think) and a small outdoor pond (under his carport). He may have some suggestions for filtration as well.