Best CHE?

TortoiseDoc

Hey Guys! I'm having trouble keeping my night time temps up in my hatchling Sully's exhibit. His enclosure is in my bedroom, so I would prefer to have something without a light. Subsequently, I'm looking at ceramic heating elements.

Current enclosure (getting a new, bigger one later this month): 20gal long (fully enclosed) with tin foil wrapping 3/4 of the sides, and the top, to keep too much of the heat/light from escaping. My day temps are low 90s, with a basking area of ~93 -I also need to get that up, I'm hoping with a higher overall temp, the basking light will be able to concentrate the heat in the basking area better, instead of loosing so much energy to heating the whole enclosure.

Anyway, if anyone has suggestions of CHE to try, please let me know, I'm at a loss!!

do I want something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016ZPM36C/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Or more like this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NONWD5U/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Or something else entirely?

Thanks, all!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That first one is NOT a CHE. The second picture is a Ceramic Heat Emitter, and comes in black or white - both the same.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, the first link is not what you want. The second link is what you want. The black or white ones are both fine. I have even bought cheap off brand ones that work just as good as the more expensive ones. Just be sure you put it in a large dome fixture with a ceramic socket

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
Your going to need a thermostat to control the temps at night with the CHE. Wattage depends on enclosure size . for a 20 gal tank i feel like a 60 or 100 watt would be fine because the tank is small. But if your upgrading soon go with the 100 or 150 watt. Whats the one your going to get like?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've never had occasion to need anything bigger than 100 watts.

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
I used 100 watt one in the winter because we keep our house on the cool side . In the summer a 60 watt one worked fine . This was in a 60 gal. long tank !

RandyNC

Wyoming USA
I have 4 100 bulbs on the cage already , and can just adjust the temp on the thermometer I already have it is a very good one so not wanting to replace them I have a few CHE that I was using for something at some point, and can pick up more but wonder what is the benefit of them over the heat bulbs that I have already (they are cheaper then my current bulbs so that would be a benefit of switch)