How is this Idea

SasquatchTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Forth Worth, Texas
Our greenhouse does not warm up enough for our Sulcata. With a heater running during 20 degree nights, it only stays just above freezing. I'm thinking of putting a "greenhouse"inside of the greenhouse
Supplies(?)
small dog house
ceramic heat emitter
light socket
I have a thermostat, too.

Will I need insulation? How is the risk of fire? Is it too hot? Recommendations welcome

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
A greenhouse has no real insulation. That’s why your heater doesn’t bring it up more then a few degrees. Putting in another greenhouse inside of that one isn’t going to really do much either. Your best bet is to build an insulated tortoise house and place the heater inside. Search for one of Tom’s outdoor insulated house. He has pictures of how to build them too.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Here is the link to one of them.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I used a heated insulated night house inside of a green house for some radiated. They sunny day, daytime warmth is good for outside the night house, but in the greenhouse. There are videos of it somewhere here in TFO land.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Our greenhouse does not warm up enough for our Sulcata. With a heater running during 20 degree nights, it only stays just above freezing. I'm thinking of putting a "greenhouse"inside of the greenhouse
Supplies(?)
small dog house
ceramic heat emitter
light socket
I have a thermostat, too.

Will I need insulation? How is the risk of fire? Is it too hot? Recommendations welcome
This won't work at those temps, CHEs should not be used over large sulcatas because they will burn them and because they are ineffective, and dog houses don't work for tortoises.

SasquatchTortoise

Forth Worth, Texas
Our sulcata is small, but I’ll look into other ideas

ugh the weather here….. it can get well below freezing one day then be tropical and humid the next