Best Cuttlebone?

destortoise

Location (City and/or State)
VA and WA
Hi everyone,

What brand of cuttlebone do you find your tortoises loving the most? I know there are many different kinds such as going to a bird store, bleached vs unbleached, but I wanted to hear about your observations with successful cuttlebone/calcium block experiences.

I use a supplement of course, but I also want to provide a block for Squash to chomp away at when s/he wants. Also so Squash's beak stays trimmed.

So, let me know! What is your tort's favorite cuttlebone and where do you get it from?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There really isn't a "best." Cuttlebone is the skeleton of a fish. The cheapest buy would be at a bird mart where they have lots of vendors. And you can sometimes buy it in bulk online.

JacquesM

Good Day, I just bought some cuttlebone pieces from good old Amazon for my lovely little boy. He devours it as much as he wants, regulating his own calcium. It was around £2.25 (roughly) for several pieces. My tort seems to enjoy munching on it without much prompting. I read, somewhere, however that some torts only like it if its gone a little stale, rather than fresh. Good Luck!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
A lot of pet stores that specialize in big, expensive birds sell broken parts and pieces really cheap.
It seems bird people don't like the broken ones.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
feed and grain stores often sell them $0.25 apiece that's where I get mine.no brand though just cuttlefish

W Shaw

Are there any good substitutes for cuttlebone? I know tortoises like them but it's SO creepy! I don't want my boy to have an overgrown beak, but I'd rather not contribute to the mortality statistics for one of my favorite critters in the world, either.