Cuttlebone. Good idea or not?

Keith D.

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hi all, today I have started to use cuttlebone on all of my DTs foods, I also use calcium +D3. I am going to use it like this, one day cuttlebone the next calcium +D3. I was reading online that you can put the cuttle bone whole into there tank and let the nibble on it when they want. It says the cuttle bone left whole serves two purposes, one it helps keep there beak in condition and two it helps with brain development (keeping them from being bored). Anyone have any insight on this? As the way I use it is I take my knife and lightly scrape the cuttlebone to create a fine powder over there food. I heard to much calcium is better then not enough cause they will just pass what isn't absorbed. Is this correct? Any insight on this would be cool.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
yes you are correct honestly it doesn't help with brain development what they will say to sell products huh? it helps me beak trimmingin bone development but nothing else.

Keith D.

Arizona
yes you are correct honestly it doesn't help with brain development what they will say to sell products huh? it helps me beak trimmingin bone development but nothing else.
Hiya dmmj, you don't think that having something keeping our torts active and stimulated doesn't help in brain development in any way, not even from keeping them from getting bored?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Hiya dmmj, you don't think that having something keeping our torts active and stimulated doesn't help in brain development in any way, not even from keeping them from getting bored?
not really their brains are different then mammals i don't like. Claims that when there's no proof

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Quite a few members use cuttlefish bone scraped over the food as a source of calcium instead of the powders you can buy.
I think I read that any calcium should only be added a few times a week if the diet is healthy so make sure you're not overdoing it by giving it in one form or the other everyday. Try doing a search and see what comes up.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
As Jodie said too much calcium definitely causes problems. I would leave a cuttlebone in the enclosure for them to nibble on if they want to. You can also add calcium two or three times a week if you want to. I am assuming this is for a hatchling. Adults don't need as much, especially male adults. Feeding high calcium Foods is also good and may help you decrease the amount of supplements you use.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
As for the second part of your question? I think making the enclosure as natural and stimulating as possible is a good thing. Most organisms brains develop as they mature. I don't know if tortoises really get bored but I do know they act more active and natural in the proper environment. In nature they wander to find their food. They don't just sit in one little rectangle all day of their lives. But if you have to keep them in a little rectangle :) it might as will be an interesting rectangle.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Mine all live outside and get full sun.
Sometimes they don't seem to need extra calcium and cuddlebones sit there until I throw them away.
Sometimes they eat rocks if there is no cuddlebone.
I use them. They eat some as they require it.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Cuttlebone constantly available. I don't use other sorts of calcium supplements, and I don't scrape the cuttlebone.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I always use cuttlebones. That way they have access to it when needed!! I sprinkle calcium 2 times a week, a pinch drizzled on their food. The cuttlebone, at least you know they are getting their calcium and helps with trimming their beak. I can't get my one rescue tortoise to even touch the cuttlebone. It's been almost 5 mos!! I offer new fresh ones when the old ones are all nasty looking that weren't touched. The rescue tort was never offered many things so I know it will take time. When I give new cuttlebones to my torts who always nibbled away at them, they go right for it.

Keith D.

Arizona
I always use cuttlebones. That way they have access to it when needed!! I sprinkle calcium 2 times a week, a pinch drizzled on their food. The cuttlebone, at least you know they are getting their calcium and helps with trimming their beak. I can't get my one rescue tortoise to even touch the cuttlebone. It's been almost 5 mos!! I offer new fresh ones when the old ones are all nasty looking that weren't touched. The rescue tort was never offered many things so I know it will take time. When I give new cuttlebones to my torts who always nibbled away at them, they go right for it.
When cuttlebone look nasty on the outside you can scrape them to get rid of the bad looking outside.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
We have been doing that for over 50 years of breeding birds now.
WOW!!!! That's awesome. I bought the smaller cuttlebones and they really get yellow and nasty and different from the larger cuttlebones and those are the ones I end up tossing after about 3 mos. Thanks again :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Calcium interferes with the absorption of other minerals and trace elements. It should not be used every day. Twice a week is plenty for a growing baby. Adult males really don't need any if they are eating a good diet and getting access to sunshine. It is advisable to supplement egg laying females once or twice a week too.

Angel Carrion

Douglassville, PA
Calcium interferes with the absorption of other minerals and trace elements. It should not be used every day. Twice a week is plenty for a growing baby. Adult males really don't need any if they are eating a good diet and getting access to sunshine. It is advisable to supplement egg laying females once or twice a week too.
What about a female with possible MBD and obvious shell damage from horrible husbandry and calcium deficiency?