calcium w/ d3 vs cuttlebone - picky eater

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
my 1 year old sulcata hates the calcium powder with D3 in it. if i put it in his food, he will just refuse to eat that day - even if i mix it in mazuri. but, if i put a piece of cuttlebone in his cage, he'll devour it. i keep cuttlebone in his feed bowl - a big chunk of one cuttlebone - probably twice a week. but, like i said, he always refuses the calcium powder with D3. my concern is that he's not getting the D3 portion. any suggestions? he is inside for the winter now, so not getting sunlight. he looks great and smooth, so not too concerned, but just am open for suggestions. i've tried mixing that stuff with so many things and he always knows it's in there.

Watsonpartyof4

5 Year Member
marcy4hope said:
my 1 year old sulcata hates the calcium powder with D3 in it. if i put it in his food, he will just refuse to eat that day - even if i mix it in mazuri. but, if i put a piece of cuttlebone in his cage, he'll devour it. i keep cuttlebone in his feed bowl - a big chunk of one cuttlebone - probably twice a week. but, like i said, he always refuses the calcium powder with D3. my concern is that he's not getting the D3 portion. any suggestions? he is inside for the winter now, so not getting sunlight. he looks great and smooth, so not too concerned, but just am open for suggestions. i've tried mixing that stuff with so many things and he always knows it's in there.

Thankfully my Tyrone will eat his in The Mazuri ...

Bumping this thread up for you!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Try feeding him foods that are high in d3 like chia I can not get my rf to eat chia by its self. So I put geens and chia. And dandeloin greens in a food processor and he will eat it it is better to under vitamin than to over or try adding to some fruit as a Treat

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
My Leo never liked the powder. I got some spray and he acts like he doesn't know it's there. Maybe try that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You might be using too much. Just a small pinch between thumb and index finger will do.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
If you get him in the sun for at least an hour or two a day...then NO D3 is neccesary! I mill my cuttlebone and add the powder to their food...pluys I leave a whole one for them to gnaw on at their leisure!

Status
Not open for further replies.