Best Enclosure Setup for Aldabra

Aldabratort93

Location (City and/or State)
CA
Hi All!

What would be the best recommendation to successfully raise an Aldabra tortoise in a moderate climate like Southern California? Would a 6” yearling be better off living in an outdoor pen with a heated hut or indoors on a large tortoise table?

solidsounds17

Inglewood, Ca
I’m no expert but I would assume indoors for at least the first year or two, and then outdoors with a heated night box. I don’t think there’s a care sheet/guide for aldabras si I’m interested in a professional response from someone with experience.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi All!

What would be the best recommendation to successfully raise an Aldabra tortoise in a moderate climate like Southern California? Would a 6” yearling be better off living in an outdoor pen with a heated hut or indoors on a large tortoise table?
Neither. You need a large closed chamber for a little while and then you can move it outside with a heated and humidified insulated shelter. Best to have both an indoor and an outdoor enclosure for a baby. Use the outdoor enclosure for nice weather and bring it inside to the closed chamber on hot or cold days, and at night.

Do you already have the tortoise? If not, I would recommend against getting one. They don't do well here in our climate. They need high humidity.

What part of SoCal? Very different Climates from Hermosa Beach to Palm Springs.