Best enclosure

Koopa1

I currently have a vivarium for my Hermann tortoise, I've read these aren't the best things to keep tortoises in and tortoise table is probably the best and I've been looking to get one and would really like to get one, but the room the vivarium is in gets very very cold in the winter and a tortoise table hasnt got a top and is not enclosed. Would the table still be alright for the tortoise and the room as it does have the heat lamp on the outside or will it be too cold for my tortoise?

Stitchpunk

Location (City and/or State)
Auckland New Zealand
I'm just learning about this stuff too, but I've already been told that unless the climate in your room is close to ideal already an enclosed tank is better as it's much easier to keep it warm enough and humid enough. The good thing about tables though is that you can build them big whereas I think a lot of vivariums are too small for tortoises. Does your have solid glass sides or mesh sides, and what size is it?

Koopa1

It has 1 glass side the other 3 are wood and it's 35 inches by 16. My tortoise are only small, about 1 year old. With the tables as you said you can put a lot more into them and build them bigger, I feel like I'm limited in space with my vivarium and not sure what else to put in there to keep them entertained! Without it being too packed

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Tables can be good if you water proof them either with plastic liner or sealant and put a top on them. Open top tables don't work that great, as you can't keep the heat very accurate, and it's just about impossible to keep humidity in. Consider two levels if your limited on space. They should have the biggest enclosure possible with a summer outside enclosure.