Vivarium or Tort table in UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortoiseGeorge

5 Year Member
I am getting a Hermann tortoise in about a month and I have recieved some very conflicting information. When I went to the pet shop the woman there said that a vivarium would be fine for the tortoise but it didnt look very big and it was £100. I have seen people with much cheaper solutions which are said to be more beneficial to the tortoise because of air flow. Although, i was wondering if i made a sort of tortoise table would my tortoise get too cold in the winter as my house probably wouldnt be very warm. And how would an open top enclousure like a tortoise table keep all the heat in? Also, what are the best ways to get heat to the tortoise? Ovbiously the heat lamp and the UV bulbs, but do i need a heat mat or anything else?

Any feedback I get will be greatly appreciated and it will help my tortoise to have the happiest life possible. Thanks :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Can I start you off by asking you to read Tom's Beginner Mistakes thread as it has so much useful information.

The best place for a tort is outside, even in the UK, however that is not practical for everyone year round and when they are small they benefit from being indoors.

To avoid pyramidding, young tortoises need heat, humidity and hydration... i.e. the correct temperatures, good humidity levels and regular soaking. Humidity levels are easier to control in a viv.

The problem is that as your tortoise grows, it will need more and more space. this means a vivarium will be outgrown and a table is the next step. You don't have to spend a fortune on table - an old book case with the shelves knocked, lined with heavy duty plastic or a piece of pond-liner, works just as well.

For hatchlings, I'd definitely start in a viv. For older torts, you may want to consider going straight into a table.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi TortoiseGeorge:

Welcome to the Tortoise Forum!!

One way to keep heat inside the habitat is to cover or partially cover it. I don't usually keep any tortoises indoors, but on occasion, if I have a sick one or some babies, I will. When that happens and its winter time, I just take a couple long pieces of aluminum foil, fold them together at one edge to make one large sheet, then drape it over the whole enclosure, lights and all. This effectively keeps the cold air from the house out and the warm air from the light/heat in.

What would you like us to call you?

Status
Not open for further replies.