Tortoise Table or Vivarium?

Willff

Hey Everyone,

I have always wanted to get a tortoise however the time was never right but finally I am in a situation where it is feasible for me to own a tortoise. With this in mind I have been doing research for awhile now but I am still debating over a few things.

I live in the UK so an outdoor enclosure isn't the best option for me due to the cold weather so I will be using an indoor enclosure. This has brought me to the question of using a Vivarium or a tortoise table. I might be wrong as I am new to this but to me it seems like a vivarium would be easier to create a well heated and lighted environment since no heat could escape, I wondered if this could create problems with overheating or if this is a fair option?

And then if I were to use a tortoise table I was interested to hear if people have found it better to build your own table or to buy one?

And finally, I am looking at getting a Russian tortoise, preferably a baby and wondered how much space they would need in their vivarium or tortoise table?

Thanks in advance,
Will

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Hello and welcome Will.

Your instincts about being able to maintain heat and humidity in a closed chamber are spot on. There is simply no good way to do it in an open table if the conditions your baby needs are vastly different than the conditions in the room where a tortoise table would sit.

A baby russian will be fine in something as small as 36x18". Bigger is better. As an adult, you will need something closer to 48x96". Open tables can work for adult russians, but closed chambers are better for babies. Stores don't tend to sell anything that is nearly large enough, so most people have to build their own. Over here we have two or three companies that make something, but I know of no company over there making anything even close to large enough.

Even though your weather might not be good every day, it is still a good idea to make a safe outdoor enclosure and use it on fair weather days.

Here is some care info for the horsfield tortoise and some general tips:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Russian&CherryHead

I use a plastic 5 foot wading pool. Works wonderfully! Also very cheap enclosure if you can get it. Best idea for indoor enclosure that I seen.

Attachments

• IMG_0863.JPG
    IMG_0863.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 27

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I use a plastic 5 foot wading pool. Works wonderfully! Also very cheap enclosure if you can get it. Best idea for indoor enclosure that I seen.

Those work well only if the room temperature and humidity is the same temperature and humidity level that the tortoise will need. Otherwise, any sort of open table doesn't work at all.