Best nesting box/Water pan designs???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alberta Canada Eh
I am looking for new ways to make a nesting box and water pans for an indoor large enclosure.
Ive used the bottom of a 45 gallon drum or a half cut rubbermaid for the water pan... anything better than this?

Also what and how do you guys use a nesting box?
What substrate inside and how deep?

iluvtorts

5 Year Member
Hustler said:
I am looking for new ways to make a nesting box and water pans for an indoor large enclosure.
Ive used the bottom of a 45 gallon drum or a half cut rubbermaid for the water pan... anything better than this?

Also what and how do you guys use a nesting box?
What substrate inside and how deep?

If you go to lowes, if in your area. They have a large paint roller pan. It holds over a gallon of paint and I put in 1 1/2 gallons of water. Even my 16 in male can fit in to it. I dump it into the substrate every day and wash as needed. The pan measures about 17 x 22. It also has a raised pattern on the bottom so the torts dont slip going in and out. It costs around $20.00.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
For water,I like the large metal pans that go under a water heater. I have a 2 1/2 X 3'X18" deep nest box with dirt inside. They hardly use it though,preferring a huge mound of cypress mulch about 18-20" deep.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I get my water tubs for my outside enclosures at home depot. Concrete mixing tub. But my guys are all huge. My smaller juveniles. I use stainless steel buffet trays from ace mart. They're 2 1/2" deep 12" wide and 28" long. They work fantastically. Nesting box I get at ace Mary as well. Vegetable containers rubber made 10" deep and 3' wide by 2 foot long. They make numerous sizes very rigid comes in clear or white. I use white for nest and clear with lid that I drilled holes in top for eggs in the incubator. All work great.

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
The trouble Im having with the nest box is that my enclosure is only 20" high, and having an 8" deep groove in a fullsized rubbermaid it a bit steep even with a longer ramp.... I can sawzall a hole and countersink it to keep the peatmoss level with the ground level i guess?
For the water.... everyone relies on the pan for driking as well as the poop they leave behind? I was thinking to do a dog waterdish with the bottle that fills just for drinking as none of mine would fit in it to poop then a tray to be dumped everday for soaking?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I just ramp substrate and mulch up to it.

They do have shallower ones but that kinda defeats the purpose of the nesting box. I know even my juvenile Guyana redfoots will still dig about 6" deep nest

Status
Not open for further replies.