Best place to get oyster shell substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annabelle

5 Year Member
Wondering where to get oyster shells. Online, garden center... Is there any concern over quality when I am shopping for them? How think a layer do you use? Any help would be appreciated.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
What and why are you using oyster shells for a substrate? I have not heard this before.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is common to keep Egyptian tortoises on oyster shell

I used to buy 50lb bags of oyster shell for my chickens at the feed store.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Are you using it as a substrate or to place down in one area for eating for the calcium (like some do cuttlebone)?

Lou

10 Year Member!
Jacqui said:
Are you using it as a substrate or to place down in one area for eating for the calcium (like some do cuttlebone)?

I am fairly sure OP is using it as substrate for the egyptians. Its pretty commonly used as substrate.

billskleins

5 Year Member
I am currently using a mix of coconut coir (garden centers and or mail order gardening supply stores) and oystershell ( feed store - used for raising chickens).
The oystershell is heavy so you should buy that locally.
My Egyptians don't actually eat the oystershell but it is coated in a fine dust of almost pure calcium carbonate which the tortoises pick up from their food.
It also give excellent traction even for babies. And my adult females dig their nests in this coir / oystershell blend.

Annabelle

5 Year Member
Thanks everyone. It is for substrate for Egyptian tortoises based on my research. I live in a suburb of Chicago and my garden centers do not carry ground oyster shells. People don't raise chickens near me. Maybe I am road tripping to the countryside...

Status
Not open for further replies.