Best substrate for russian tortoise outdoors?

LeChef

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA USA
I know I could probably just use the dirt from the ground but was thinking of lining my outdoor enclosure with a weed blocker and putting a maybe coco coir, peat moss, and cypres mulch. Or I'll just put it right on top but I was wondering were would I find this in 50lb bags like you would with playsand at homedepot. Just looking for some input, thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Why would you want to block the weeds? Leave it the natural ground and plant more edible weeds and flowers.
If for some reason you still feel the need, orchid bark.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know I could probably just use the dirt from the ground but was thinking of lining my outdoor enclosure with a weed blocker and putting a maybe coco coir, peat moss, and cypres mulch. Or I'll just put it right on top but I was wondering were would I find this in 50lb bags like you would with playsand at homedepot. Just looking for some input, thanks!
I use the native dirt for outdoor enclosures. I agree with Wellington, let your weeds grow. Pull out any bad weeds that you don't want by the root, and let the others grow.

If you still want substrate anyway, don't use peat or soil. Use fine grade orchid bark. You can usually find it in bulk at garden centers. Not hardware stores, but actual garden centers.

LeChef

San Diego, CA USA
Why would you want to block the weeds? Leave it the natural ground and plant more edible weeds and flowers.
If for some reason you still feel the need, orchid
I thought I would use the weed blocker to make a liner kind of like what you would use for indoor enclosures and just use tortoise dedicated substrate but if just the dirt works and is okay from the backyard then I'll definitely do that.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
As long as the yard is not treated with any chemicals then yes, just use the ground that's there. That's what most of us do.