Best Thermometer and Hygrometer?

itty06

Location (City and/or State)
California
Trying to order a cost effective thermometer any hygrometer to keep track of temperatures for my leopard tortoise. Please help! So many choices, I can't seem to make a decision

cdumitru78

Portland, OR
@Sterant, can you use two of these sensors simultaneously, or do you need to really? I have a 4 by 2 OVC enclosure, I was thinking of monitoring cold side and basking area.

jsheffield

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Westmoreland, NH
I've tried a couple of different types...

Recently I bought a few of these:

Inkbird IBS-TH1 PLUS Wireless Temperature and Humidity Monitor Thermometer and Hygrometer for Android and iOS Phone Used for Brewing Meat Plant Cigar Storage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DQNFJVL/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

And one of these:

Govee Wireless Thermometer Hygrometer, Mini Bluetooth Humidity and Temperature Sensor with Data Export for iOS Android, Temp Humidity Monitor with Alert for House Wine Cigar Living Room Baby Room https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R586J37/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I think they all work roughly the same....

Jamie

cdumitru78

Portland, OR
Manufacturer confirmed you can use multiple sensors, although I am not sure I need more than one. Will start with one and take it from there.

cdumitru78

Portland, OR
@jsheffield, thank you for the reply. The Govee is even cheaper and seems really slick. Based on what I see on Amazon, you don't need any external probes with it, you just place that white sensor where you want to.

Blackdog1714

Richmond, VA
I have the inkbirds that are bluetooth. The wifi is a little more. I have one in the warm and one in th cool end just to be over careful!

Sterant

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Albany, NY
@Sterant, can you use two of these sensors simultaneously, or do you need to really? I have a 4 by 2 OVC enclosure, I was thinking of monitoring cold side and basking area.
Sorry - just now seeing your question. You can use multiple in one enclosure for sure, but I think that enclosure might be too small to get a significant variation in temps from one end to the other. I prefer sampling temperatures under the basking lamp with an infrared thermometer. Dan

cdumitru78

Portland, OR
Sorry - just now seeing your question. You can use multiple in one enclosure for sure, but I think that enclosure might be too small to get a significant variation in temps from one end to the other. I prefer sampling temperatures under the basking lamp with an infrared thermometer. Dan
That is solid advice, I like it and come to think of it, I think you are 100% right. I do have an infrared thermometer and I can occasionally check under the basking light, while this will be great for overall monitoring.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use some digital thermometer/humidity gauges that I find at the garden department at either Home Depot or Lowes.
They do not have a sensor. But they work well for my closed chambers or in incubators.
I apply velcro to the back and stick them on the glass.
They last a long time. Seem to be water resistant and cost about $10

Blackdog1714

Richmond, VA
Could you use a meat thermometer to measure the temperature accurately?
No. It is not precise at all. The laser temp gun is a bare necessity for torts. I am setting up the bigger indor enclosure for my baby leopard and it helps with laying out the lights and heat to create the zones.

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
I've tried a couple of different types...

Recently I bought a few of these:

Inkbird IBS-TH1 PLUS Wireless Temperature and Humidity Monitor Thermometer and Hygrometer for Android and iOS Phone Used for Brewing Meat Plant Cigar Storage https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DQNFJVL/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

And one of these:

Govee Wireless Thermometer Hygrometer, Mini Bluetooth Humidity and Temperature Sensor with Data Export for iOS Android, Temp Humidity Monitor with Alert for House Wine Cigar Living Room Baby Room https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R586J37/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I think they all work roughly the same....

Jamie
I second the inkbird. with its bluetooth capability I check temps and humidity anytime without hovering over the tort.

LetsTacoBoutTorts

Madison, MS
I also use the Govee, with wifi. So far, it has worked as expected. You can view logs & trends with the humidity & temp. It also has an alarm you can set, so if the temp or humidity level goes above or below your designated setting, it sends a notification to your cell, no matter where you are. Extremely easy to set up & use. I've been very pleased with it. Bought from Amazon.

Attachments