Best thermostat?

Natalie44

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
which thermostat should I get? I’ve heard a few people mentioning “zilla” but I can’t seem to get it here in the uk. Last few questions I promise ;) okay and while we’re at it…..LOL I might aswell ask another thing that’s been playing on my mind- I noticed this morning when I woke up the coco coir had a smell to it? It wasn’t horrible…..reminded me of TCP? 🤷🏻‍♀️ should I chuck and start fresh? Or maybe consider orchid bark instead?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any will work. The brand names change constantly. Get one rated for at least 1000 watts even though you won't be using nearly that much power.

BN Link sells one that is programmable for different day and night temps, which would be good for your species. They only cost around $30.

What is a TCP? Damp coir should have an earthy smell to it, but it should not stink or smell foul in any way.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Any will work. The brand names change constantly. Get one rated for at least 1000 watts even though you won't be using nearly that much power.

BN Link sells one that is programmable for different day and night temps, which would be good for your species. They only cost around $30.

What is a TCP? Damp coir should have an earthy smell to it, but it should not stink or smell foul in any way.
TCP is a antiseptic, quite a chemical like smell, so I’d personally get rid of this substrate, not sure what’s caused it to smell like that.. weird😕maybe consider the orchid bark..

As for the thermostat would a 600w not do the job for her? Cause I can link her to some in the uk🙂it’d still have more wattage than she’d use

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
TCP is a antiseptic, quite a chemical like smell, so I’d personally get rid of this substrate, not sure what’s caused it to smell like that.. weird😕maybe consider the orchid bark..

As for the thermostat would a 600w not do the job for her? Cause I can link her to some in the uk🙂it’d still have more wattage than she’d use
In theory yes, but I prefer to go overboard with electrical limits. If 16 gauge wire is acceptable, I'll use 12 gauge. If I'm using a 600 watt device, I'll put a 1000-1200 watt rated thermostat on it, etc... For a single CHE, yes, a 600 watt thermostat should be safe to use.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
In theory yes, but I prefer to go overboard with electrical limits. If 16 gauge wire is acceptable, I'll use 12 gauge. If I'm using a 600 watt device, I'll put a 1000-1200 watt rated thermostat on it, etc... For a single CHE, yes, a 600 watt thermostat should be safe to use.
Yeah I get you, I’d do the same if using a 600watt device, but I don’t think this individual will need that many watts to heat their set up, even with a bigger size I’m imagining 300 at most for just this one tort🙂

I’ll find you some uk options I can attach hang tight, if they aren’t suitable for whatever reason I’m sure @Tom will help guide

Reactions: Tom

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Ok so here’s some options(I’m sorry none are particularly cheap😣)the first option is the cheapest and should do the job just fine, the second one is a ‘pulse’ thermostat which are technically more sophisticated for the ceramics, we use them, but honestly an on/off will be ok. Then if you can’t get those, there’s the habistat brand(I don’t have experience with this brand thermostat)hopefully this helps🙂

Attachments

• IMG_1677.png
    IMG_1677.png
    307.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1678.png
    IMG_1678.png
    161.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1679.png
    IMG_1679.png
    143.4 KB · Views: 1