Best things to use for a water bowl?

MichaelNguyen7396

5 Year Member
Ray is a Testudo graeca and I've been putting a different kind of water bowl in his enclosure but he never seem to use it and also in his new enclosure he that I have had for nearly a week now and he always sleep under the basking spot even when I turn it down!

Can anyone give me any ideas on waterbowl and best place to put it?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Clay terra cotta saucers are my favorite water dishes. I use them for all the torts.

What's nice is they come in different sizes, so you can get a size slightly larger than your tort and it's perfect!
They are inexpensive, too ;)

erdavis

5 Year Member
Gainesville, Fl (Go Gators!)
From what I've seen, I wouldn't go with a corner one. Corners are the most common place for torts to flip themselves upside down, add a think of water there and you'll have an upside down drowning tort :( I don't Even keep mine near the edges. My tortoise didn't flip for a year and then did it very randomly.

I use a disposable paint tray. It's great because it holds more water than a saucer and it has a built in ramp. As long as your tort knows how to use the ramp.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Oh also if you go with a paint tray I'd steer away from the metal ones as metal will probably get way too hot in the sun/heat source

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I am a big fan of terra cotta plant saucers. Come in all kinds of sizes, easy to clean, cheap, & have good traction for the tort to get in & out of. they also hold heat in well too.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
MichaelNguyen7396 said:
I would really like a corner type of dish:( I have a saucers aswell

there's 3 problems i always see repeat themselfs with corner dishes which is the tort will flip and could drown. they walk through the water tracking all shorts of stuff through it they are less likely to track if its dead center in the enclosure plus most of the "corner" dishes i've seen always seem rather deep.

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
naturalman91 said:
MichaelNguyen7396 said:

there's 3 problems i always see repeat themselfs with corner dishes which is the tort will flip and could drown. they walk through the water tracking all shorts of stuff through it they are less likely to track if its dead center in the enclosure plus most of the "corner" dishes i've seen always seem rather deep.

Very, very true. I have a corner dish and I didn't think anything of it - pretty deep I think. Then about a week ago I looked over and my baby RF had flipped itself over in the dish. I jumped up so fast my fiancé jumped up as well like "omg what's wrong?!" By the time I got to him, he had corrected himself. Whew. It scared me a lot because I'm not always here to watch, obviously. I took rocks and placed them in a layer on the bottom so now it's pretty "shallow".... Didn't want that to happen again.... When I change the substrate (clean everything), I'm putting the one of those plant dishes in.....

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
littledude said:
naturalman91 said:
MichaelNguyen7396 said:

Very, very true. I have a corner dish and I didn't think anything of it - pretty deep I think. Then about a week ago I looked over and my baby RF had flipped itself over in the dish. I jumped up so fast my fiancé jumped up as well like "omg what's wrong?!" By the time I got to him, he had corrected himself. Whew. It scared me a lot because I'm not always here to watch, obviously. I took rocks and placed them in a layer on the bottom so now it's pretty "shallow".... Didn't want that to happen again.... When I change the substrate (clean everything), I'm putting the one of those plant dishes in.....

i've been fortunate enough to never have a scare like that but a really good friend of mine lost his greek because of flipping in the dish

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
My heart stopped.