Best Tort Vet(s) in San Diego?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkingler

5 Year Member
Any personal experience with either of these?

Taken from the Vet List:

San Diego

Thomas H. Boyer, DVM
Pet Hospital of Penasquitos
9888 Carmel Mt. Road, Suite F
San Diego, CA 92129
Tel: (858) 484-3490
Fax: (858) 484-3499

Jeffrey R Jenkins, DVM, ABVP (Avian)
Avian & Exotic Animal Hospital
2317 Hotel Circle South Suite C
San Diego, California 92108-3310
Tel: (619) 260-1412
Fax: (619) 260-1499

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-California#ixzz1kNkbLRJ6

I have no cause to go to the vet at the moment, but want to know who the best and most tort friendly (and least keen on doing procedures just to generate income, maybe...) vet in SD is, in case I need to go at some point.

Please share your thoughts on your favorites and best experiences. Also, avoid slandering or bad talking the bad ones - forum rules, good etiquette, etc., and if someone isn't mentioned, I will assume that is due to a lack of (favorable) experience with said vet. ;)

Katherine

5 Year Member
I am on the other coast so unfortunately no help here; just wanted to commend you on finding a reliable and well versed tortoise get BEFORE you need it. I wish all owners took the same initiative, goodluck : )

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Jeff is a great guy and knows his stuff! .....
Jeffrey R Jenkins, DVM, ABVP (Avian)
Avian & Exotic Animal Hospital
2317 Hotel Circle South Suite C
San Diego, California 92108-3310
Tel: (619) 260-1412
Fax: (619) 260-1499

jkingler

5 Year Member
Awesome. Glad to have some feedback. :)

I am subscribing to this thread to make sure I don't miss anyone's input on the topic, but for the moment I am glad to hear that Jeffrey Jenkins is my frontrunner, since he is very close to where I live. :)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
I have only seen Boyer. He is little "different" but I think it's because he's really really smart. I had no idea he wrote a book or was involved in the SDTTS. I guess he does a lot of educational talks on tortoises in his office too. He's right off the 56 across from the skate park. I liked him.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
I took a turtle to Dr. Boyer. I liked him. He was an odd guy, but I agree with Kathy about super smart people sometimes being a bit different. I was very immpressed when I heard him speak at a SDTTS meeting. He is pro Muzuri, but it is WAY over priced in his office. That was a turn off for me.

Lulu

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
I think all the tort vets are a little different. I go to Dr. Jenkins. He is definitely a little different, but a great vet. He also gave me a "good guy" discount on my last visit, because it was a rescue (my hermann's with advanced MBD). There is another doctor in his office, Dr. Stout, that I ADORE. She is actually not different at all. :p I can't weigh in on Dr. Boyer, but I have had very good experiences with Dr. Jenkins and his office, and they have always been able to see me same day. I have also found him to be reasonably priced.

Status
Not open for further replies.