Best tortoise for a beginner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LIttleGreys

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
My daughter and I would like to buy or adopt a tortoise. We currently have a large red eared slider and a Schneider's skink. We want to make sure we have everything we need to provide our tort with a healthy and happy life.
We love the looks of the leopards, but like I said, we want to do right by our tort.
We live in Pennsylvania, so our tortoise would be mainly indoors, although we do have a predator proof outdoor pen for summer days if the tort would do OK out there.
What kind of tortoise do you think we should be looking for?
Thanks in advance for replies, suggestions and advice!!
Sue

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm hoping someone else will answer your question, but I'm going to take this opportunity to give my opinion. I'm in no way demeaning you or your decision, and I'm not picking on you, but everyone is entitled to an opinion, and here's mine:

A tortoise is a wild animal (as opposed to a domesticated animal), and as such should be kept outside. They really need the sun's benefits to keep them healthy. In the wild they wander over many acres of land getting lots of exercise. It is my belief that if you live in a climate where a tortoise can't at least spend a half a year outside, then you need to think about getting a different kind of pet. I operate a turtle and tortoise rescue and believe me, I've seen it all! Poor little red ear sliders that have been kept in small plastic tubs of dirty, smelly water, with soft shells and no toes from fungus. Deformed sulcatas because of incorrect diet and indoor housing. And the list goes on.

The fellow I'm in partnership with on all my tortoises moved to Phil., PA several years ago and took some of his tortoises with him. He lived in an apartment with no yard and no way for the animals to get any sun. He ended up selling some of his tortoises and shipping the rest of them back to me because he realized he wasn't doing right by them.

After having said all that, it IS possible to keep a tortoise indoors for PART of the year, but you have to spend a lot of money on the correct lighting, and make a big enough tort table for lots of exercise. You can't just get a tortoise and put it in an aquarium or plastic tote and expect it will thrive. They really do best when outdoors.

Yvonne

Granolagal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
orrrrrrr, a hermann's..lol. They are cutie patooties :D and don't get very big either. They have an amazing personality and if you decide that you really want to go the tortoise route, through much research (and a lot of questions) I decided this was the way to go. Though I have not owned any others...I looove my hermann's :)

Cheers!

Jenn1

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Fernley Nevada
I think a leopard is a good choice.
I have 3 russians and a eastern box turtle.Love them very much.
Each one has there one personality.
Mine stay indoors all year.They have large tables and all the stuff they need.I take them out everyday to get there excersize for at least 1 hour to 2 hours a day.When weather pemits,I take them out side.
When you do deside which kind you want,do all the research you can before getting one.
Good luck, ;)

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Hello Sue

I have an Hermann, she is 1 year old. She lives indoor but next summer I will make her an outside enclosure. She will live indoor most of the time (I made her a tort table) and outdoor during the nice day of summer and fall.

I really love my Hermy, she has her own personality, it is so cute :D

Let us know what your decision is?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
My suggestion is a redfoot. I feel that that the summer climate in the east is better suited to a forest tort. They are very responsive, easy to care for if you follow some simple instructions (this hold true for all herps), and get to a moderate size. My last suggestion is no matter what type you decide on, get a captive bred from a good helpful breeder (one that will establish an ongoing relationship with you).

LIttleGreys

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Itort said:
My suggestion is a redfoot. I feel that that the summer climate in the east is better suited to a forest tort. They are very responsive, easy to care for if you follow some simple instructions (this hold true for all herps), and get to a moderate size. My last suggestion is no matter what type you decide on, get a captive bred from a good helpful breeder (one that will establish an ongoing relationship with you).

Thanks. I had been doing a lot more research this weekend and was also leaning towards a redfoot. I read that they are "personable".

RTfanatic

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
College Station, TX
I have five Russians and two new Leopards. I originally selected Russians because my research suggested they are one of the easiest beginner torts. Since then I've fallen in love with them and glad I made that decision. We moved to a larger place with a huge yard and now feel comfortable getting more torts so I got a few more Russians, and now Leopards (since space is less of an issue when they get big). I really liked the Redfoots but chose not to get them because of the increased requirements for humidity and so forth. We live in Central Texas so consistent humidity is harder to provide than the environment Russians and Leopards require, which both require similar environments.

Status
Not open for further replies.