The best fit for our family???

Status
Not open for further replies.

shurizee

5 Year Member
We are looking for a new family member and I'm not sure which kind would best suit out family. I had been researching Russian Torts and found that they would be a great fit; but the more I read, the Hermann Tort may be a good fit as well? I'd like to get some feedback on what the best match would be for us...

We live in Southern California. I have a 5 1/2 year old who will be helping me take on the responsibility so I'd like a tort breed that is friendly. I'd like to get a yearling so I plan on having them inside until mature enough for outdoor activity. We do plan on having an outdoor area just for them when ready and we are starting a little garden for ourselves so i plan on growing our own food for them.

I'm not set on a spacific breed yet...I just want to make sure we get the right one for us and where we live! I've done some research but any insight on what we need and want would be appreciated. I'm still researching and want to make sure we have all the insight we need before we find our new family member and bring him/her home. :)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
It really is a personal choice. I would try to go to a reptile show and "meet" all the species you are interested in. I think the Russian or the hermanni would be a great choice. Russians tend to dig and be more of an escape artist, but they are very hardy. I think the hermans are prettier, but that is all subjective.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
Also I have to add... Having little ones around torts, you have to keep a super close eye on them. They like to poke at the poor torts little head and so on. I for one will not even let my 10 year old bother with Cooper or Ophelia unless she has 100% adult supervision at all times, and if the adult leaves the room the tort goes with the adult. I remember being a kid and the curiousity of it all. Maybe I am an ***, but I love my torts and want no harm, even accidental, to come to them. Just my opinion, sorry if it sounds harsh or mean.
Have a great day! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.