Best Website to order a tortoise?

CaseyP77

Hey guys/girls, so I am looking into purchasing another sulcata tortoise. I bought my first one off of tortoisesupply and he lived about 2 months. No, I didn't do anything wrong. I was following care sheets and all the suggestions that people told me. I also followed them to a T. it was my first tortoise and I really loved it but one day I picked franklin up and he was limp. I ended up burying him the other day and it was pretty emotional. However, I want to get another one but dont know where. I dont want to go to the pet stores and I dont know any breeders nearby so online is the best choice. Like I said i got my first one on tortoisesupply but was wondering if someone had better success with another site? Tortoise supply has amazing customer service and wouldn't mind ordering from them again but I wanted to get other peoples view points. I know ordering animals online isn't the best way to do it but i have no other choice. Thank you in advance

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would recommend tortoise supply or a breeder is a better choice. Just wondering, the info you followed the first time, was it from this forum or other sources? Did you have it in a closed chamber with high humidity 80% with 80 temps and basking of 95-100? Daily warm water soaks? I ask cuz lots think they are doing it right when they are really doing it all wrong! Also, some hatchlings just don't make it for no real reason that we can determine 100% but starting them dry from before hatching plays a big part. @Tom would be a breeder I would by from if he has any. Otherwise most any breeder on this forum, as most likely they are doing it right.

CaseyP77

I have researched numerous forums and websites and tried to gain as much knowledge before I even received my tortoise. I have a zoomed tortoise table but a 100 watt uva/uvb mercury light thats on all day but i do turn it off at night. I dont have a light for him at night so maybe that was the problem but the humidity was perfect as well as the temp. However, Im not going to lie I used bottled water for his soaks and didn't heat it up before so I would say it was probably around 60-65 degrees. I agree I also have some sort of gut feeling that maybe he ate some of his substrate and got backed up or whatever its called.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tyler is a friend of mine and a good guy. He does't start his babies like I do, but they usually survive. I won't make a judgement call on that issue without a lot more info, like the source of the tortoise and what specific care it received.

There are several breeders on this forum that have a 100% track record and start their babies closer to the way I do it. Their results speak for themselves and so do their customers.

Rather than tell you who to buy from, I would prefer to educate you so that you can find the right breeder yourself and know what to ask. I'd rather you make an informed decision than just take my word for it. If after reading all this you just want a name, then you can send me a PM.

Here is how it should be done:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

Here is what happens when it is not done right. See if any of this matches what you saw:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
I would not buy a baby from someone who leaves them outside in the sun all day, or from someone who isn't soaking daily, or close to it. I would not buy a baby from someone who keeps them in an open topped enclosure, or on dry substrate. I would not buy a baby from someone who feeds romaine lettuce or spring mix.

In case you haven't found this info, this is how they should be raised:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have researched numerous forums and websites and tried to gain as much knowledge before I even received my tortoise. I have a zoomed tortoise table but a 100 watt uva/uvb mercury light thats on all day but i do turn it off at night. I dont have a light for him at night so maybe that was the problem but the humidity was perfect as well as the temp. However, Im not going to lie I used bottled water for his soaks and didn't heat it up before so I would say it was probably around 60-65 degrees. I agree I also have some sort of gut feeling that maybe he ate some of his substrate and got backed up or whatever its called.

You followed the wrong, old, out-dated, incorrect info. I'm sorry to tell you this, but you are not alone. Most of what is out there is all wrong and based on 30 year old incorrect assumptions about how they live in the wild. We have been fighting this misinformation for a long time, but we simply can't reach everybody.

Now you know.

Given the above, it is certainly possible that Tyler sold you a good, healthy baby, and your set up caused its demise. Believe me when we tell you that we know you had the best of intentions, but you found and followed the wrong advice. The threads I posted above will help you get it right the next time.

Misty-P

Mississippi
I would recommend researching the breeders here on the forum. That's how I got mine and couldn't be happier.:tort:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! On @Lancecham he starts them right, breeds them, takes care of everything.
Heres a pix of our 2 year old Lance bred Sully. Your Soaking temps need to be a lot warmer! Closer to 100! Not 65.

image.jpeg

Big Charlie

5 Year Member
California
Brr! Would you take a bath in 60 degree water? I can't even get in my pool unless it is over 80 degrees, and even then, it still feels cold. A tort that can't control his own temperature would have trouble warming up after that.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hey guys/girls, so I am looking into purchasing another sulcata tortoise. I bought my first one off of tortoisesupply and he lived about 2 months. No, I didn't do anything wrong. I was following care sheets and all the suggestions that people told me. I also followed them to a T. it was my first tortoise and I really loved it but one day I picked franklin up and he was limp. I ended up burying him the other day and it was pretty emotional. However, I want to get another one but dont know where. I dont want to go to the pet stores and I dont know any breeders nearby so online is the best choice. Like I said i got my first one on tortoisesupply but was wondering if someone had better success with another site? Tortoise supply has amazing customer service and wouldn't mind ordering from them again but I wanted to get other peoples view points. I know ordering animals online isn't the best way to do it but i have no other choice. Thank you in advance
Your smart enough to come to TFO for advise ! Why not come to the TFO members for your tort ? :) good luck !

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I have baby sulcatas all the way up to 4 inch ones.
Feel free to message me or by phone/text (562)458-8304
email: [email protected]

I am more than happy to answer whatever questions you may have.

satdiver

10 Year Member!
Maybe it would be a good idea to create a breeder section with contact info, tortoises available, etc. I think something like this would be very helpful to newbies and those interested in purchasing captive raised tortoises.