Big Bertha Doing Great

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Jordan
with tube feeding, it would be very easy to inject too much food, liquid.
She's not actually eating. She's being fed.
Hi Ed and thanks a lot your answer.

Once again, GOOD LUCK TO BERTHA!

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thanks, Gillian. It's a slow process. No improvement yet.
Please please try to keep calm and take it easy. I for one know that words are easy. Oli drove me NUTS a week or so ago, so I know how you feel, though Oli's case was NOT as serious as Bertha's I am 100% sure.

Wait and see: improvement will hopefully take place, but it'll take time. GOOD LUCK to both YOU and BERTHA.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Thank you. It's too soon to tell if she'll be O.K.
But food intake can't be bad.
So long as Bertha is eating that is ONE thing. Let's think POSITIVE: food cannot harm a human being/animal, can it?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Does it seem normal that she hasn't peed or pooped anything? She's on newspaper and a towel, so I wouldn't have missed it. I started feeding Friday P.M.
Now I have nightmare visions that the feeding tube isn't going into the stomach, but into the chest cavity...I worry too much, I know.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Does it seem normal that she hasn't peed or pooped anything? She's on newspaper and a towel, so I wouldn't have missed it. I started feeding Friday P.M.
Now I have nightmare visions that the feeding tube isn't going into the stomach, but into the chest cavity...I worry too much, I know.
Ed, I am anything but an expert. in this field, so I'm sorry I cannot help you. Please, please try to take it easy.

You and I seem to have this in common...WORRYING TOO MUCH!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's why I was warning you about putting too much food in the tube. A tortoise's metabolism/G.I. tract works VERY SLOWLY. I've noticed cantaloupe seeds in the poop TWO WEEKS after they had eaten cantaloupe.

It may not take that long, but I wouldn't worry just yet.

Kenno

5 Year Member
Southern California

Best wishes for a good outcome.

Liquids in can mean no solid returns for a long time. Also, they don't pee very often.

Feeding tube placement can be checked very easily by anyone who knows how - they will send a small air bubble down and listen for a gurgle. The air would do no harm if the tube placement is wrong. Gurgle means it's in the right place: tummy or GI tract.

My experience is only from working with humans but it has to be the same simple procedure.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Tidgy was being fed lamb and beef fat when I rescued her.
Hi Adam. I know someone who has MANY torts in her garden: nothing she wanted or likes for that matter. They were 'imposed' on her. So she feeds them RICE, BREAD, MEAT and so on...leftovers.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Best wishes for a good outcome.

Liquids in can mean no solid returns for a long time. Also, they don't pee very often.

Feeding tube placement can be checked very easily by anyone who knows how - they will send a small air bubble down and listen for a gurgle. The air would do no harm if the tube placement is wrong. Gurgle means it's in the right place: tummy or GI tract.

My experience is only from working with humans but it has to be the same simple procedure.
Thanks. The procedure was done by my exotic vet. Not myself. So I'm hoping it's all good.