Bioactive for redfoot/cherry head

Redfootguy123

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
Hey everyone, I currently have a little cherry head and I’ve been thinking about going Bioactive (to the point of finding what plants he doesn’t like to eat and growing them in the enclosure as well). There’s so much conflicting info on Bioactive for tortoises and there’s so little in general for Redfoots specifically. I’m seeing some sources say to use soil, some say using soil is the worst thing you can do, some say drainage layer, some say don’t because they burrow etc etc

Does anyone have any experience & success with Bioactive, or even just growing your own plants in the enclosure with isopods? I’d love to be able to do this so that there can be some enrichment in the form of plants and such but I either want to do it right or not at all

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Hey everyone, I currently have a little cherry head and I’ve been thinking about going Bioactive (to the point of finding what plants he doesn’t like to eat and growing them in the enclosure as well). There’s so much conflicting info on Bioactive for tortoises and there’s so little in general for Redfoots specifically. I’m seeing some sources say to use soil, some say using soil is the worst thing you can do, some say drainage layer, some say don’t because they burrow etc etc

Does anyone have any experience & success with Bioactive, or even just growing your own plants in the enclosure with isopods? I’d love to be able to do this so that there can be some enrichment in the form of plants and such but I either want to do it right or not at all

Real soil (top soil) is not usually used. What you put into bioactive substrate is up to you. ABG mixes are popular, though you dont have to include all of the items. I use compost, coir, fir bark, & charcoal as the base. Some leaf litter on top. I think a drainage layer is a good idea; if you're worried about digging, use egg crate above the screen to protect it.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Bioactive is all I do.
(As my RF all live outdoors in the tropics)
Do you have the space for such an endeavor? I assume you'll be attempting this indoors. A single RF can generate a lot of destruction inside most indoor enclosures. But with the room certainly that's doable.

Redfootguy123

South Carolina
Bioactive is all I do.
(As my RF all live outdoors in the tropics)
Do you have the space for such an endeavor? I assume you'll be attempting this indoors. A single RF can generate a lot of destruction inside most indoor enclosures. But with the room certainly that's doable.
I def do, I’ve converted most of my office into a reptile room & my redfoot is getting the majority of the floor space as he grows. Been lurking the forum for a while to get info to prepare so the importance of space isn’t lost on me fortunately.

I think I’m going to either go with an ABG mix from joshs frogs or the full kit from the bio dude as a guide for what to get (https://www.thebiodude.com/collecti...kits/products/red-foot-tortoise-bioactive-kit). Just found it this morning while I was shopping for a deep heat projector actually