Bioactive Substrate Questions

dwright27

5 Year Member
Good afternoon everyone,
I haven't been on here in ages, I'm afraid. But I'm back with some questions!

I want to convert my cherry head's enclosure to bioactive substrate. I have read a little bit, but thought I could maybe get some more up-to-date info.

Where can I buy crushed lava rock? (I'm in Ontario, Canada) Is it necessary, or is the sand mixed with soil sufficient?
How long should it take for the tank to be established enough for me to put the tortoise in?
There aren't many bugs out yet; it's still too cold! Do people sell wood lice or other critters? I know I've seen springtails sold at expos but they seemed so expensive!

I had a UTH but the glue crapped out and it fell off of the tank. Any suggestions for safe, heat-resistant adhesive? Or would a heat cable be better?

Thanks!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Earth
I've never had much luck with the adhesive on UTH, it seems like at least 3 of the corners start peeling up entirely too soon so I use foil tape along the edge of the UTH. This also increases the heat transfer to a larger area.

dwright27

5 Year Member
Thanks to you both!

The tape you're talking about -- is it the kind that you put around a dryer vent pipe thing? (Yeah, I'm not handy AT ALL)

dwright27

5 Year Member
Also, do you think the bioactive substrate is a feasible solution in a 75g tank? (this won't be his home forever, but I'm moving him out of his current 40g)