1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Bioactive tortoise substrate

Discussion in 'Advanced Tortoise Topics' started by JaySparks, Nov 19, 2017.

1. JaySparks

JaySparks Active Member

I've built 2 bioactive exo terra tanks and I noticed that some of the ingredients for the substrate are usually recommended for tortoise use. My tanks are currently thriving and growing well. The reason why I'm thinking if a bioactive set up for a tortoise is possible is simply out of curiosity also it'd be kind of cool to have a renewable source of food for my tortoise - I understand that they can trample the plants but in my case my tortoise doesn't do that. Please keep in mind that this is just an idea. I'm interested to what other people would say.

This is what I'm currently using for my bioactive substrate / for my crested gecko's

Topsoil
    cococoir
    sand
    orchid bark
    sphagnum moss
    charcoal
    worm castings
    pearlite

The qualities that we look in a substrate for a tortoise are

Retains humidity but not wet
    easy to borrow
    drains well

what we do not want is impaction so avoid

Sand
    Pearlite because they could confuse it for calcium

Tortoise bioactive substrate recipe

Topsoil
    cococoir
    sphagnum moss
    orchid bark

The following items i'm not sure if they are tortoise safe as part of the substrate

worm castings
    charcoal
    leaf litter

All of these items will be added in different quantities.

dwright27 and TammyJ like this.