Birthday for Tort

Teachbiochem

Location (City and/or State)
Kansas
I teach high school science and my students are OBSESSED with Salsa the Cherryhead tortoise who I purchased last June. One of them suggested we celebrate its birthday. I was wondering approximately when it would have hatched and if Salsa is over a year old now. Also, when would the egg have been laid? Thank you from my curious students.

Picture was taken in September on Salsa’s first day of school.

Attachments

• 00EF55BE-C075-437D-8DFE-DE4AF41EA9EF.jpeg
    00EF55BE-C075-437D-8DFE-DE4AF41EA9EF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 10

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It's impossible to know for sure. They all grow at different rates. That tort looks fairly young though, less than a year. My best guess would be it hatched shortly before you got it.

Teachbiochem

Kansas
Hmm, I think I asked the wrong questions then. Maybe the better question would be if there is a typical time or season they lay and hatch eggs? Also, approximately how long does it take for their yolk to absorb and they develop the scar where it was? How long do breeders keep them around before they start selling the babies? Now that I have more informed questions, maybe I can narrow it down a bit better. I'm kinda thinking it would be the April-May range.

Salsa has grown quite a bit from that picture and its 116 g now. I should have been keeping better notes on growth!

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
There's not really a typical season they lay eggs in captivity. The yolk sac absorbs within a few days of hatching. Responsible breeders keep them around long enough to see them eat and gain a little weight, a few weeks to a month. Not all do though. April to may would also be my guess.

Teachbiochem

Kansas
Thank you. It is good to know that although I am a novice keeper, I am knowledgeable enough about animals to make a good guess! It amuses me how obsessed with this little tortoise my high school kids are and they will be excited to give it a "birthday".