Black Leo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
you can always say no comment or I can neither confirm nor deny whether or not I am attempting that species.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Or I can say
lalala.gif

Means the same thing :p

John

5 Year Member
has anyone ever seen a pic of a hatchling,of this color phase?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
squamata said:
has anyone ever seen a pic of a hatchling,of this color phase?

I haven;t but it's really hard to determine how a hatchling will end up looking as an adult.

So, this black color. Is it purely genetic or could growth and husbandry factors affect how it turned out to be almost pure black?

I recall a discussion here awhile ago about how leopards might end up more blonde or white if they are fed a lot and grow really fast. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I suspect it had something to do with a magic marker or sharpie.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Genetics plays a part, but the color or lack of color on a Leopard tortoise can be influenced by the base temperature you keep the tortoise at. If you keep a Leopard with a base temperature in the mid to high 80's you will get a light colored Leopard tortoise. If you keep a Leopard with a base temperature in the 70's you will get a dark colored Leopard tortoise.

Danny

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Wow that's amazing. Has this been proven or is there any research to confirm this?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
I think there must be, but not sure where. Ed (EJ) had said about the color of Leopards a few years ago (not sure if it was this forum or another, could have been turtletimes). I'm pretty sure he had an article, but I didn't save it and don't remember who wrote it. Might have to do a google search :D

Danny

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
egyptiandan said:
Genetics plays a part, but the color or lack of color on a Leopard tortoise can be influenced by the base temperature you keep the tortoise at. If you keep a Leopard with a base temperature in the mid to high 80's you will get a light colored Leopard tortoise. If you keep a Leopard with a base temperature in the 70's you will get a dark colored Leopard tortoise.

Danny

Say that to my two males lol. I raised them exactly the same (temps, diet, habitat...unforunately that led to pyramiding *kicks herself* ) and I have one normal colored and one blonde ;)

As far as I and both breeders know - the parents are all normal phased. If base temp plays that much of a part...shouldn't they be more alike? And by blonde I mean blonde lol. I have pics on here somewhere and he just keeps getting lighter and lighter :rolleyes:

PeanutbuttER

5 Year Member
Utah
Macheteslaststep said:
egyptiandan said:

Danny

Say that to my two males lol. I raised them exactly the same (temps, diet, habitat...unforunately that led to pyramiding *kicks herself* ) and I have one normal colored and one blonde ;)

As far as I and both breeders know - the parents are all normal phased. If base temp plays that much of a part...shouldn't they be more alike? And by blonde I mean blonde lol. I have pics on here somewhere and he just keeps getting lighter and lighter :rolleyes:

Genetics can often kick in during certain conditions since there's some interplay between genetics and the environment. Also, maybe the blonde one has some genes your other one missed out on. You'd also need to know what the grandparents look like to be able to rule-out genetics in this case since genes can easily be hidden for a generation or more before springing back in a minority of the offspring (1/2 in your case).

Status
Not open for further replies.